Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

Any one have a tip for doing the "tweed" seat inserts in the later model GT and LX's? :lol:

I'm toying with an 89 Convertible and picture it having the tweed seats, but don't know exactly how to do it... We'll have to share the trial and error to see who can get it right.

Some neat stuff going on here.

I am curious, has anyone ever done in resin a Fairmont/Zephyr or the early 1980s Granada (and I think the Mercury Cougar was the same body) or the Fox LTD/Marquis? I'm most interested in a wagon.

I'm aware of the ongoing Futura. I hope he decides to make it so I can build a street version as well, not just a racing car. I always thought those were pretty cars with the rear-window treatment. I keep an eye open in case I find one, and because they are what they are, they're not too expensive, either.

Let me see how things are progressing with me. I have a few kits I could join in with.

Charlie Larkin

youalso for got they made the merc monarch

Jason, an idea for the tweed seats: tape off the sections you do not want the look on. 1) lay your base color, 2) take the colors that appear in the tweed area and make a vey thin consistancy of each color in seperate containers (think the consistancy of a wash), 3) take an old toothbrush and dip it into the 'wash' paint color, 4) flick most of the wash out of the toothbrush, and then with the brush pointed at the seat area, run your finger across the bristles of the brush until the paint starts to finely 'splatter' onto the surface, 5) repeat for each color used. As a final note, you can take a brush lightly moistened with thinner and somewhat blend the colors together. Coat with dullcoat and untape the seat.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the older ASA roundy round T-bird kits have a V6... How close would one of those be as a starting point for your 3.8?

Another candidate for the 3.8 would be the Revell 1990 Cougar XR-7.

Another candidate for the 3.8 would be the Revell 1990 Cougar XR-7.

Does the 1992 Cougar have the 3.8 as well? I need a stock 3.8 Liter for a model of my 1:1 1990 T-bird, but not the supercharged 3.8 in the Revell T-bird Supercoupe kit.

You'd have to scratchbuild the intake for any of the Revell 232s to make it a non-S/C version. As the intake sort of looks like an exhaust manifold on its side, I wonder if you could start with that as a way to make it easier?

Charlie Larkin

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the T-Bird and the Cougar are 1/25th scale. If I were starting with one of my MPC kits, the 3.8L from either kit would do wonderfully. Unfortunately though, the scale difference IS noticable in the engines (although I have thought about doing up one of my MPCs with the 3.8SC drivetrain).

You'd have to scratchbuild the intake for any of the Revell 232s to make it a non-S/C version. As the intake sort of looks like an exhaust manifold on its side, I wonder if you could start with that as a way to make it easier?

Charlie Larkin

I sort of see what you mean about looking like an exhaust manifold on it's side after looking close at the 1:1 in the driveway. I thiought it always looked more like a 5.0's intake runner.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the T-Bird and the Cougar are 1/25th scale. If I were starting with one of my MPC kits, the 3.8L from either kit would do wonderfully. Unfortunately though, the scale difference IS noticable in the engines (although I have thought about doing up one of my MPCs with the 3.8SC drivetrain).

I checked both the 1990 Revell Supercoupe I have for the 1:1 and my Revell 1992 Cougar with the 5.0 Liter, both are 1:25. What MPC kits have 3.8 Liters in them?

Mark Taylor, we were discussing possible sources for a 3.8L engine for my 83 GLX vert kit (to replicate my 1:1). However, being I was going to swap the car to a 5.0/5spd anyway (until the girlfriend wanted to drive the car) it will be built as the 5.0 :D. But good scale 3.8L info is always nice to have.

Matt, I don't know of any of the MPC kits with the 3.8. I was thinking of taking the Revell 3.8 from either of the above kits and dropping it into one of my MPC 1/25th Mustangs.

Edited by whale392

It's a little bit hazy which of the '89+ T-Bird and Cougar discussion has anything to do with building those cars in relation to this thread, but as a reminder those cars were not Fox bodies, they were MN-12 platform vehicles. They'd work for parts in some cases, but not as the primary build subject. The '80-88 T-Bird/Cougar were Foxes.

They are simiply helping me find a donor for a non supercharged 3.8 Liter for another build I have planned of my 1:1 scale 1990 T-Bird. Someone else brought up the 3.8 Liter, I simply asked if I could find a non Supercoupe 3.8 for the other build. If you notice, my build is a 1982 T-Bird!

Matt, I don't know of any of the MPC kits with the 3.8. I was thinking of taking the Revell 3.8 from either of the above kits and dropping it into one of my MPC 1/25th Mustangs.

Ok, if you do find a 1990 Cougar with the 3.8 Liter, let me know if it is supercharged or not. As I said, I have a 92 Cougar, and it has a 5.0 liter.

Got you covered on my post JUST before yours Matt!

Yep, seen that, thanks.

So...ahm yeah, let's talk about why I have not made much progress on my fox entry shall we? :D

I seem to keep getting sidetracked, by a couple of LX coupes, instead of working on the Hatch I should be working on...

The AF/X resin Mustang LX Coupe, as received...

103_0579.jpg

103_0599.jpg

103_0603.jpg

This thing is REALLY showing it's age!

Mods include reworked quarter windows, new trim, new lower front bumper,New "grille bar", new front "A" pillers, reworked rear bumper (still need to add the Mustang), filled mirror slots, and soon (possibly) a new engine bay (Once I figure out where the mail man delivered the package containing the donor bodies too! :lol: ).

After Mods...

103_0581.jpg

103_0594.jpg

103_0595.jpg

(Maybe I should send it back to them, and have them recast it, when I am done! :D )

And here is the Hatch that I should be working on...

103_0586.jpg

103_0588.jpg

I did get to work on it a little last Sunday, so some more of it is painted. Here's the interior, so far...

103_0587.jpg

So ah anyway... :D

Edited by Abell82

The AF/X resin Mustang LX Coupe, as received...

Does yours have a really droopy nose? Here's the one I got a few years back - still trying to decide if it's salvageable or not. The nose is a real mess. I got this from a third party and I believe it was a "blem" - everything I ever got from Wendell back ten years or so ago was the highest quality. I'm trying to get around to bashing this body with the '93 Cobra to see if I can make a coupe out of it. I'm thinking I can swap the '93 nose on, and use the valance from the resin one on that nose.

How the industry has managed to not make a Fox coupe after all these years is certainly a mystery to me.

2143.jpg

Not sure what you mean? Do you have a head on shot of yours?

I think, that it does, as the right headlight bucket is almost 1mm smaller then the left. Which is why I kept the front buckets it came with. I could have swapped the whole front end, but because the right side is smaller it would not mate up like it should have.

Not sure what you mean? Do you have a head on shot of yours?

I think, that it does, as the right headlight bucket is almost 1mm smaller then the left. Which is why I kept the front buckets it came with. I could have swapped the whole front end, but because the right side is smaller it would not mate up like it should have.

What I'm looking at is how the entire nose droops toward the front of the car - like it was left in the sun or something. Probably removed from the mold before it was cured. Compare it with this profile shot of my old coupe (pre-paint) and you can see how the front end of the resin version sags toward the front.

March804.jpg

Edited by Mark Brown

How the industry has managed to not make a Fox coupe after all these years is certainly a mystery to me.

What makes me mad is when I see things like the Chevy Citation, Probe, or some of the weird show rod stuff kitted with such a limited market, and no Fox coupe offered in 1:24 or 1:25.

What I'm looking at is how the entire nose droops toward the front of the car - like it was left in the sun or something. Probably removed from the mold before it was cured. Compare it with this profile shot of my old coupe (pre-paint) and you can see how the front end of the resin version sags toward the front.

I believe the "Droop" is mostly an optical illusion. The lower portion of the front bumper should be deeper in the rear and less in the front which would make it more like a point. The lower portion of the front bumper on the resin body is flat, or possibly even smaller in the rear then the front, which makes it appear to be "drooping. The body moldings line up, and a stock hood sits (mostly) flat.

I know your dilema Jason.....I have 4 of the AFX coupes and I too have been trying to correct the bad areas.

Nice looking LX Hatch....combination of the AFX coupe and one of the early Monogram Cobras perhaps?

I know your dilema Jason.....I have 4 of the AFX coupes and I too have been trying to correct the bad areas.

Nice looking LX Hatch....combination of the AFX coupe and one of the early Monogram Cobras perhaps?

Nothing so exotic. It's just a 93 Cobra, with a custom nose, and rear hatch spoiler.

I had an AFX coupe as well.

I "fixed" all of the problems with it by putting it back on ebay. :D

OK im in I dug out my Monogram kit 2967 of the 94 mustang I'll get cranking on it this weekend

Nick, you got anything else that'll fit? The '94 Mustang is a year too late... We're looking at cars from '78 to '93, with Mustangs in particular ranging from '79 to '93. The '94 was the first year for the SN95 platform, which was the result of some major changes to the Fox platform.