Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can you remember your first diorama ?

Barbo

Hi...can you remember your first diorama ?.........I can, I built my first diorama for a history class in high school . The theme was about polution. So, I made a model of a industrial park near my home....Everyone was amazed about the model...but believe me, I consider it was awfull and out of scale......Barbo.

my first diorama was a military dio. i purchased the 2.5 ton truck and there were instructions for a dio in the instruction sheet, so i built one. First automotive dio was the 1/20 scale John Player special with figures form Tamiya. Colors of the uniforms were totally wrong as i didn't research at all.

My first diorama was one that a friend and I built in 1962. Barbo, this post reminded me that I had some old slides of this model. Its the only thing that survived. The cars are long gone. We set up a display at the local fall fair.

DSCN3841.jpg

The pictures have been digitized from the old slides. The picture quality somewhat matches the model quality. you'll notice that there is no after market stuff and our modeling skills were still in the apprenticeship stages. It was, after all, done over 45 years ago

DSCN3849.jpg

The cars are driven by ghost drivers :wink: We were limited in the figures we could find back then.

startingline.jpg

The figures are toy soldiers that we cut up and heated to change positions

thanks for looking

Carl Avis

• 1 month later...

Mine was a 4ft long bookshelf that I made into an HO scale interstate when I was 15. I had every detail I could think of. Guardrails, overhead highway sign, grass on the edges(which was the worst "landscaping" I ever saw, but it was my first attempt). I made the beginnings of a deceleration lane/exit ramp in the foreground. It wasn't bad for a 15 yr old, but then again, the availability of HO scale items was incredible. There were skidmarks simulated by coating one of my trucks wheels with flat black and rolling it towards the ramp. I loved that diorama, but, as is my luck, it got destroyed during one of my many moves as an adult. At least the trucks were safe!!!!!!!! I wish I could find my pix of it.

Guest zebm1

My first diorama waz for a Science Fair, IIRC 5th or 6th Grade (1959-60). Tha subject waz Paleontology. Tha dio waz a volcano and a jungle, tha volcano waz setup to use Dry-ice, I molded in a tin can. Forget what I made tha jungle out of, but do remember that making tha dinos out of molding clay waz a BIG mistake. Being a kid, I didn't take into account tha overhead lights.....my dinos drooped in very slow motion. :lol:

Zeb

• 1 month later...

My first dio was an scratchbuilt oil rig on top of a cardboard box with the sides painted to look like the layers of earth and rock under the rig. It was for an 8th grade science project and I got an A. My first car dio was a plastic Jo-Han displaycase that I white glued some HO grass and real rocks and dirt on to look like a field with my "34 Ford pick-up displayed on it with the plastic cover over it. I still have it and it is at least 38 years old. My first 34' truck and my first dio. PATRICK

I was about 10. My Dad had 4x8 plywood table w/a green fake grass paper(lack of better description) tacked on for RR layout he didn't use. I put slot car track roads (even made 3ft long bridges to the workbench) and paper and cardboard structures and lots of hotwheels. Had it set up for a few years and played w/it almost daily. How many of us play with them now? Mom still talks about the squeeling tire and loud engine noises coming from the basement. :lol: Wow memories are flooding back. Thanks.