Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vandal

Wild Custom-Styled Street Van with Mini Bike

• Original year: 1972
  • Company: Monogram
  • Scale: 1/24
  • Designer: Tom Daniel

This bad box on wheels makes the street scene luxury in style!

Driver's compartment enclosed in a clear bubble makes it easy to keep an eye on the big, blown "8" alongside.

Open the side door or tall gate and feast your eyes on the "living room" interior with swag lamp and simulated carpeting and a super dirt bike rides on the rear bumper.

The ongoing hippy insanity that permeated and inundated the 'left' coast, must have scrambled Tom Daniel`s noodle when he designed this one.

Actually, TD was intrigued with the idea of an asymmetrical cab-beside-motor layout...

... something beyond what vans of the day looked like (street-able vans - not way-way out 'show vans').

The interior had 'mod' posters and such, and was ready made for those modelers who were into super detailing.

The little 'Taco' mini-bike is a model of the real-life machine TD designed (along with Lynn Wineland), for Steens International.

'Vandal', was obviously a play on words.

This is also an older build, I did not want it in classic black and tried some different color-Combos...

... a few small changes here and there, hope you like it.

Fotos032.jpg

Fotos038.jpg

Fotos030.jpg

Fotos022.jpg

Fotos029.jpg

Fotos033.jpg

Fotos025.jpg

Fotos027.jpg

Fotos034.jpg

Thank you very much for the nice words! B)

The yellow, transparent cube should be a lamp.

The arches of the blue carpet for the interior, were not self-adhesive, i had everything stick with additional adhesive...

I also glued the blue stuff on the saddle of the Minibike, but I have removed it because it looked too shaggy... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the kind words! B)

That is BOSS! The colors, interior, and the deco on the sides of the driver bubble.

What kind of engine is in the Vandal? It looks like a V8 but I want to wire it and want to know the firing order and throttle spring etc.

This is the kit- engine:

018.jpg

020.jpg

This is a blown Ford BOSS 429...

... about the fire order, uhm...

... unfortunately I must say, that I do not have a clue... :blink: