Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real or Model #93 FINISHED!

Real or model?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

• Real
    • Model

Emily Litella: "What's all this talk I hear about us wasting our natural race horses? Don't we have enough race horses in this country?"

Chevy Chase: "That's natural resources. Wasting our natural RESOURCES."

Emily Litella: "Oh."

"Never mind!"

:lol:

:lol: I have sworn that it was real,In the word of Emily La tella{aka-Gilda Radner}" It just goes to showya it's always somethin" Better luck Monday LOL ;)

BTW... it was Roseanne Roseannadanna who said "It's always something," not Emily Litella... :P

ok, I'm late cuz I had some "real work" to do! (as in paying client!) ;)

Final vote: 34-8 REAL!

Which means once again you guys were REAL WRONG!!! :lol:

It's a MODEL! A styling studio model, to be exact. Yes, an actual styling studio gets the credit-or blame-for this one!!! Hey, it's better looking than an Aztec!!! :D

Note the fact that there are no mirrors, no wipers, the door handles look to be simple flat cutouts of silver mylar or something. I'm not sure what scale this is, but it's definitely a model!

Next ROM coming Monday!

This one was done in 1:1, by Brooks Stevens, who did what styling work Kaiser Jeep needed during the years Jeep was owned by Kaiser Industries. Most don't know it, but the famed Jeep pickup and station wagon series which started in 1948, carrying through into the early 60's were designed by Stevens, who was a master of pulling things out of the hat for companies needing styling work done but on a limited budget.

This "van" concept was right in step with what other carmakers were experimenting with, probably inspired by the Volkswagen Type 2 transporter series, but which moved into high gear when the Big Three created their own cab-forward compact pickups/vans in the mid-1960's (Ford Econoline, Corvair Rampside/Greenbriar and Chevy II Van, and the Dodge A100 series). The Jeep van styling concept was done off a real, long WB Forward Control Jeep truck cab and chassis, with the added bodywork done in fiberglas, with real glass windows (the windshield is stock FC Jeep, as is the front end sheet metal. As for outside mirrors, very few forward control commercial vehicles in this class had them as standard equipment--almost all of them had those mirrors added, as options, either on the assembly line, or at the dealership. When I saw the prototype at the Brooks Stevens Museum in 1979 (it was opened on a Saturday for the 1979 IPMS National Convention at Milwaukee), it struck me as being really rough--lots of ripples in the fiberglas panels added, and yeah, those mylar applique's denoting the door handles!

How prolific was Brooks Stevens & Associates? Well, considering that the museum held examples of lots of non-automotive work (the engine hood/cover for the "classic" Lawnboy green lawnmower struck me, for example, as did the Wheel Horse Garden Tractor), along with other more mundane examples of the industrial designer's art.

How cheaply could Brooks Stevens come up with something? There are pics, in the archives of the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, of his styling mockup of the Grand Turismo Hawk--Studebaker was so nearly flat broke, that Stevens did the "T-Bird" roof shapes for that one in heavy cardboard, and the total cost to Studebaker to come up with that car for production was only about $500,000 (other than the roof stamping, everything else came pretty much out of the Studebaker parts bins). Brooks Stevens of course, did the Studebaker SS concept car, which aped the Mercedes SSK sports cars of the late 1920's, and one of which was built for Studebaker in 1962 for display at the various auto shows around the country. When Studebaker declined to produce the car, Stevens & Associates simply took on a supply of Lark chassis, and laid up the bodies in fiberglas, and took the cars racing, as the first Excalibur SS's. The Museum had several wicked cool examples of Brooks Stevens' own racing Excaliburs.

Even though Stevens himself was nowhere to be seen that Saturday in late July 1979, it was all too apparent that we were in the presence of a very talented and creative designer, and a rather eccentric one at that!

Art

Harry,Psssst Harry, up an at 'em! We's burnin daylight here ya know! I can't even start my WEEK till I get my Romday hit! So.....HIT ME!!!! Oh, and as always, I hope you slept well! :)

maybe he has a client........... Thats his story and he's stickin to it!!

Morning George!!!!