Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevy Pickup - A Detail Freak's Dream Truck!

Running boards painted, exhaust installed, and the lowering of the front axle. I drilled a pair of holes through the axle and leaf springs, then popped the leaf springs loose. I put the axle under the leaf springs, and used a piece of 26 gauge wire to pin it all together through the holes I had drilled. It's still drying, but it did the trick!

50ChevyPU283-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU284-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU282-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU285-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU286-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Great start on this, the bed is just awesome, love the color too. But the tail lights will have to grow on me...

John, check out the tail lights once the whole thing is on it's wheels, they really look right now! I'd like to say it came out just like I had planned it, but I just did it, not having a clue they'd look that good once it was all said and done!

50ChevyPU291-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU292-vi.jpg Edited by Custom Mike

I'm not sold on the rims yet either guys, they were just one of 3 sets that fit, so I slapped 'em on. Now that I'm going to take my time finishing it off, I can select a set of rims that suit it. Thanks for all the praise, now I've gotta eat something and start digging through my rim stash!

Edited by Custom Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I got some work done on this baby tonight, I finished up all the foil work, and I'm very happy with how it came out!

50ChevyPU294-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU295-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU296-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU297-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU298-vi.jpg

And I finished it all off with the windshield, and drilled a pair of holes on the doors for the side mirrors. If I get the time tomorrow, I'll get started on attaching the rims to the chassis!
50ChevyPU299-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU300-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU301-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU302-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Thanks guys, it's nearing completeion now, so I'm being careful as I can be, this is where stuff always goes wrong!

OK, here's where it gets put up on some wheels. Now after all that voting and picking and whatnot, it didn't matter, neither the first or second place rims and tires would fit, they were too freaking wide. So onto plan B, a set of five spokes that would fit! I found a set, I don't have a clue what they're from, but they look good, so they win! Here's the pics of the mods to get the Pegasus disc brakes to fit, and make the rims fit the hubs from the kit.

I started by sanding down the inside of the disc brakes so the kit hubs would fit, then drilled a hole all the way through them, since they'll be mounted backwards!
50ChevyPU303-vi.jpg

Once the kit hub was in place, it was glued down, then sanded until it met the edge of the disc brake, this was to make sure the rims don't stick out too far.
50ChevyPU304-vi.jpg

Once it was all sanded and test fit to death, the disc were sprayed with Metalizer Aluminum Plate and buffed out, then glued to the rims. A small piece of 26 gauge wire was also added to each caliper to attach to the flexible portion of the brake lines. Yes, I know the rears have no flexible line at the calipers, but I haven't figured out how to do the hard lines all the way yet, so sue me!
50ChevyPU305-vi.jpg

And a shot from the front side, the discs fill these rims completely!
50ChevyPU306-vi.jpg

And the chassis mocked up with all four rims to make sure it sits nice and level!
50ChevyPU307-vi.jpg

And the final pics for the night, a couple of mock-ups with the rims on...
50ChevyPU308-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU309-vi.jpg

One side of the rear brakes is in place and connected to it's brake caliper!
50ChevyPU310-vi.jpg

And the passenger side wheel well is in place, and the wiring from the firewall has been run down to the quasi-voltage regulator at the bottom. that's all for tonight, see ya tomorrow!
50ChevyPU311-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Richard, John, Kirk, thanks for the compliments, they are appreciated. Kirk, drop me a PM when there's a contest coming up in SC, I missed the Sumter contest the last few years because they never notify me when it's happening!

It's time to post more pics! I have the bed and all four wheels in place, so we're nearing the finish line. I did discover a few things tonight though. I got both fender wells in place, and mocked up the cab on the chassis...man, it looks great...but there's a slight problem. Now I know why there's no master cylinder in this kit...there's no room for it, especially if you want to add brake lines! So my parts box master cylinder will be glued to the firewall, but no lines connecting to anything, unless someone has a way to make me even smaller. I also discovered that when I modified the front axle, I eliminated the possibility of using the tie rod, it's got nowhere to go now with the lowered axle, unless I cut a groove in the oil pan, which ain't happening! So all my grand plans for the brake lines are dead and gone, but it still will look cool, just forget I ever planned on doing them!

50ChevyPU314-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU315-vi.jpg

I've got to do a bit of touch-up on the hole I drilled in the tailgate, there's nothing but primer in that hole! Thank God for pictures, otherwise I wouldn't have spotted that!
50ChevyPU316-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

hey, looks like you're scrapping the cab and going for the rickshaw look. I never would have thought of that. Cool idea.

by the way Mike, if you're looking for a place to hang the master cylinder, put it under the floor. That's where it is on these trucks. The pedals come up through the floor as part of a lever arm that operates the master cylinder push rod. Maybe with that you could still run the brake lines. It might even be easier.

Still loving that bed. One of the best I've seen.

Edited by Alyn