Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you want?

I am in the process of doing artwork for a set of Gasser themed decals. These will be screen printed by a major decal company. But I am not 100% up to speed on what should be included??? Any help would be great.......let's hear what you want! Thanks

Dave,

Thanks for doing the work, I'm sure that many of us will be thankful for your efforts !!! :):):)

I'd like to see some original car names that can be used on all drag cars...60's era style font as well as modern styles and colors. How about some trunk decals..."see 'ya later", "too bad" , etc...

thanks for asking,

obscure decals from the era.

I agree. Decals of companies which were less common, or at least not available in kits already. One specific decal I would like to see is the STP "daisy" decal:

107_0.jpg

Maybe multiple "generic" class letters with drop shadows? No sure if that was done with the DTR or Model King modifieds or not, but having a few different fonts to choose from would be a nice option to have. Maybe even some semi-transparent white shoe polish like car numbers for the windows?

The '60s gassers were so varied and so personlized, I think t will be hard to come up with a "universal" name or logo, and many used very few decals and most had no sponsors at all. Pretty good YouTube vid here for reference:

Variations of "Headers by Doug" and "Stahl Headers" and the big "Prepared by Jenkins Performance Berwyn, PA" door stickers would be great.

Also things like "National Record Holder" "National Champion" various years through the 60's, all in the same size and sign-painters' font so we could mix and match them to say things like "1965 National Champion" and smaller "NHRA Record Holder", typical stuff that was painted on the quarter panels of various gassers and junior stockers.

I'd say just spend a little bit digging through Vince Putt's Fotki albums of gassers and junior stockers and look for reoccuring themes or styles. I think the little small hand painted lists of all the speed parts on the car are pretty cool, would be nice to have a bunch of those manufacturers in the same font to mix and match as well.

I think there's tons of inspiration in just the tri-five Chevys in these two albums- I say go more for the stuff you see on the junior stockers.

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/archive/drag-racing/super-stock/

http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/drag_racing/gassers/

Edited by Brett Barrow

I'd like to see a variety of vintage speed shops included--lots of the weekend warriors in the '60s were sponsored by their local speed shops, muffler shops, etc. Most of what I remember and have seen photos of featured low-key graphics not much "flash". Another good source for you might be "Super Stock" by Larry Davis.

Do a sheet like that with a bunch of hot rod related businesses on it, and I'll buy enough to keep you in business all by myself...

Dave, its great you are asking for input here!

I'll throw in my two cents also ;)

How about some fictional sets for some of the newest kits...the '50 Olds - "Old Timer", "Rocket Launcher", "Luxury Leaper"

'57 Ford - "Blue Oval Blast", "FEarless"

Hudsons? Yeah, why not! - "Unlikely Candidate", "Hornet Havoc", "Stepdown Screamer"

It's realy an altered, but I REALLY want a set for the 66 Psycho Mustang (Snodgrass, Tom Sherlock Ford) .

I would like to see decals for several of the later versions of the "Shake Rattle and Run" 57 Chevy from the Chicago area in the 60's and 70's Steve Prideaux

Me two!

Wow, I'm looking forward to this!

A couple of alphabets in good gasser font styles with a pinstrip outline would be great for "could have been" gasser models. Gold leaf would be a bonus for sure. Model rairoad decal alphabets don't have the right look.

Most '60's gassers had just the names of the owner or team lettered on the door with transmission, camshaft, and fiberglass sponsors spelled out on the hood and quarter panel. The gasser books above are a good resource for photos.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...