Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '49 Mercury Wagon

Austin T

How far off from Stock is the Chassis??

Even though they make it Look Stock from the outside, is the chassis Actually

stock, or would I be better off swapping in the Old AMT Merc Chassis??

It looks totally stock to me. I looked at two '49s online earlier, and the undersides of the real cars closely matched the underside of the 1/25 scale models. I thought the Custom version had a channeled body, but the '49 Woodie I saw had the same deep rockers as seen on the Revell Custom and Woodie kits.

I still wish they would've added the stock engine to the Woodie, but I don't think that's a major issue.

How far off from Stock is the Chassis??

Even though they make it Look Stock from the outside, is the chassis Actually

stock, or would I be better off swapping in the Old AMT Merc Chassis??

I thought the body was channeled, but now that I look at pics of the built up model and pics of the real car online, it doesn't appear to be channeled. I think the Revell Custom '49 included dropped spindles and lowering blocks for the rearend, but the stock Woodie body I looked at online had deep rockers and the frame rails were fully hidden, making it appear channeled.

• 3 months later...

I doubt we'll see a flathead in the kit.

Agreed. This wagon is spawned off the custom Merc that came with the Caddy 8. The molecularity (I typed modularity, darn spell check!) between the two is what made the kit cost feasible. And Revell figures we all know where to find a flatty!

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We might have had a Lincoln Y-Block V8 as the engine for this kit, instead of the Caddy. Several of us provided reference material, but the logstics just didn't work out. But I sure give them a lot of credit for thinking of it! TIM

I was thinking of using the one out of the AMT '25 T kit (with a littled modification) for one of the Merc's suppose the same could be done with the wagon also. For me this is easy since I have a half dozen of the T kits & the AMT '49 Merc kits to source the proper three speed from.

I was thinking of using the one out of the AMT '25 T kit (with a littled modification) for one of the Merc's suppose the same could be done with the wagon also. For me this is easy since I have a half dozen of the T kits & the AMT '49 Merc kits to source the proper three speed from.

Horse - this would be a cool conversion! Just for the record, this engine is actually a Ford "MEL" V8 (Mercury/Edsel/Lincoln), the 1958-1968 model years replacement for the early-mid1950's Lincoln Y-Block.

Unlike the Lincoln Y-Block, which has never seen an accurate 1/25th scale replica, the MEL was found in four kits - the AMT'25T you mention, AMT's 1962-1965 Lincoln annual kits, a different version in AMT's 1966-69 Continental Annual kits, and (mostly) in the super-rare Aurora '22 T Double Kit.

Good luck with your project...TIM

Unlike the Lincoln Y-Block, which has never seen an accurate 1/25th scale replica, the MEL was found in four kits - the AMT'25T you mention, AMT's 1962-1965 Lincoln annual kits, a different version in AMT's 1966-69 Continental Annual kits, and (mostly) in the super-rare Aurora '22 T Double Kit.

Good luck with your project...TIM

Is that the engine also in the AMT '58 Edsel, or is that a Y-block? I don't recall...

Junior Series Edsels; Ranger, Pacer, & Wagons came with the New FE block

as standard V8, but could have the lager one, or an inline 6.

AMT's kit is a Pacer

The Senior series; Corsair & Citation had the MEL engine.

1958 Junior Edsels were on Ford Platform & Wheelbase, Seniors on the

Mercury platform & longer wheelbase.

Very Few parts would inter-change between jr & sr series Edsels in 58!!

Also, Don't call them Ford Edsel's. They were a Separate division like Lincoln, & Mercury.

And for many years after being dropped, No ford part department would sell you parts for one.

Even if you gave the a Ford Part Number. If you said it was for an Edsel they told you that

you Had to go to the Mercury Parts department!!!!

To clarify on the '58 Edsel:

'58 Ranger/Pacer/wagons = FE 361 cubic inch V8 "E-400"

'58 Corsair/Citation = MEL 410 cubic inch V8 "E-475"

Those were the only Edsel engines available in the U.S. that year. In '59 you could get a 223 six, or 292, 332 FE, or 361 FE V8s. In 1960 the choices were the 223 six, the 292 V8, or the FE 352 V8.

And speaking of the MEL, for 1958 there was a Mercury "Mauruader" version, a three-two barrel setup IIRC, that boasted a factory horsepower rating of 400 (again, IIRC). Which did make it the most powerful factory-stock engine in the car business that year.

For a very short period of time that followed, the MEL was a hot ticket for the supercharged drag racing classes (mostly rail dragsters and a few drag boats), because in part it could be bored and stroked to 500 cubic inches. By 1961 other engines (most notably the first gen Chrysler Hemi) had taken over as the "hot" setup for blown drag racing engines.

TB