Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Mustang Pro Modified (Updated 10/16/2013)

W-409

I haven't ever built Pro Modifieds, but I've been dreaming and planning to do one... And it's NOT this one, so there might be other one coming also...

Today I got this '66 Ford Mustang Glue Bomb. Previous owner has started to build this one with Pro Sportsman Chevy Chassis. It's built very nicely, Mustang dashboard and door panels fit very nicely to place, roll cage fits nicely too. Also the wheelbase looks pretty good... Well, there's a lot to do, of course but because the basis was this good, I decided to make this for Pro Modified category.

In Pro Modified, I think every engine variations, from Supercharged 526 Hemi to TwinTurbo and huge engine with NOS. Well, this will be with TwinTurbo set up, even if I said that I'm not going to build TwinTurbo car for a moment, because of the TwinTurboed Sleeper Chevelle: http://www.modelcars...showtopic=55959

With the Chevelle, there are a lot of clearance issues, because it's Sleeper, and it has to look like it. But this one is different, it hasn't to look original. Of course there will be clearance issues with this one too, I guess but not that big ones. Today I've been planning what to do with this, and for the engine I found one from Revell Pro Sportsman kits. It will have valve covers by Competition Resins, and pretty much scratchbuilt TwinTurbo set up.

Okay, enough talking, here are the pictures.
First here is the basis. This is everything what came with the Glue Bomb. This is great basis, the body is in very good shape, too and nothing has been painted, or at least everything is stripped off from the paint.

P9180101-vi.jpg
Two Closeup shots of the body:
P9180103-vi.jpg
P9180104-vi.jpg
Here is the modified Pro Sportsman Chassis. It has Mustang Door Panels, which is great.
P9180107-vi.jpg
P9180109-vi.jpg

Edited by W-409

Thanks for the comments everyone! :D

Bart: I know I'm fan of "Home made, metal bodied DoorSlammers", and that's why I'm not making bigger body modifications for this one. I will convert hood and fenders to one bigger "fiberglass" part, like Flip Nose, but otherwise I'll keep the body Stock. Maybe it's bit unusual, but the way I like it. Here's one example: http://kuvia.1g.fi/kuvat/Tapahtumat+2012/FHRA/DefaFinals/Lauantai/MOP_9997.jpg

Tyrone's Mustang looks awesome, as always! I'll shoot you a PM when I'm in trouble. Right now everything seems clear to me, but it will not take long time before I don't know what to do. :lol:

Not much progress yet, I've started making the Turbochargers and intake manifold. Still bit more work needed, and then I can post an update. High school is slowing me down all the time, but I try to keep on workin'. ;)

Thanks For The Comments Fellas!

Progress has been very slow, now I have a bunch of exams in the school, starting from Friday. But I managed to do some work today with the intake manifold, it's pretty much done. Needs some sanding and little finishing, but the basic "look" is done. I built the manifold from 1 millimeter thick styrene sheet and styrene tubing. Right now I think that it would have been much easier to do it from brass. I don't know if I'm building another one in the future, which would be better than this. Let's see if I can make this look better with paint and some finishing.

Some pictures. Not the best quality, because I managed to break my camera some how (Again!). These are taken with my Video Camera, which doesn't take as good "Still pictures" as my normal camera does.

DSC00003-vi.jpg

DSC00006-vi.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! :P They're really appreciated.

The problem with the manifold is that those flat parts on the sides, what are bolted to the cylinder heads, are made from styrene and they're not quite smooth. The problem is hard to see from picture, but it is really visible in real life. I'm going to make new ones from brass or a bit thicker styrene. Good thing is, that I don't have to take the whole manifold apart... So it shouldn't be too hard.

Little update too, I started making the Flip Nose (or one piece fiberglass front end, what's a correct name for it in english?). I cut the front end with that very handy saw by Trumpeter, it does very nice and smooth cut and it doesn't take so much plastic with it, when sawing. Here are some pictures, I'll work on the throttle body tonight.

DSC00012-vi.jpg

DSC00013-vi.jpg

Thanks guys! That saw is very handy-worth buying if you see one.

Little update, I reworked a bit of that intake, it looks much better and fits nicely to the engine. I also built new throttle body from styrene. This is the second try, first one turned out horrible. This is not so great either, I might redo it but let's see how it looks when painted. Just wanted to post little update, so you can see that I'm building instead of eating chocolate. :lol:

P9290011-vi.jpg

P9290012-vi.jpg'

Also managed to get the camera working again-or at least I can take few pics with it, zoom isn't working and other little things, but mainly it works Okay...