Model Cars Magazine Forum

remember the AMT "Iron Horse" Mustang?

62rebel

Concept? Are youn talking about the "Mustang2" Concept?

That was originally toold by IMC back around 1965. Lindberg

re-issued it once or twice in the past 15 years.

The body is Convertible, but comes with separate Coupe & Fastback roofs

That kit has ALL working features, Steering, Hood/Engine, Doors, Trunk.

I have an early 70's IMC re-issue I built new but need to restore,

and a Lindberg one I have not started yet.

I do not recognize any of these Late 60's AMT versions. I have never seen or had any

Edited by Edsel-Dan

That link pretty much sums it up. Two (2 [iI]) cars the Mach 1 (one {I] ) and the Mustang II (2 [Two]) just like model cars, slight changes through the years, headlights, wheels, tires and what have you. Do we really want to get going on the Cougar II http://www.carstyling.ru/en/car/1965_ford_xp_bordinat_cobra/(2[Two]) ?

5530247.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

• 7 months later...

I've always thought it looked out of proportion. Like someone had sat a Ferrari roofline on a Mustang. Maybe if it was sectioned a bit.

The only real problem with the design I see is that the nose sits too high. Move the wheel openings up in the fenders, and drop the nose. I think you'd like the results.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The only real problem with the design I see is that the nose sits too high. Move the wheel openings up in the fenders, and drop the nose. I think you'd like the results.

I see what your saying but then your wheel arc would break into the body line that runs into the brake cooling duct. You'd have to end that line earlier, so the wheel arc could be moved up. You might be right. A few tweaks and it might be okay.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe move them up enough so that top of the wheel opening is at the bottom of the character line and the top of the flare flows out of from the top part of the fender. Don't think that would hurt the lines of the car like having the nose sit 3-4 iches higher than the tail of the car.

Edited by Joe Handley

I was thinking the same thing, maybe move them up enough so that top of the wheel opening is at the bottom of the character line and the top of the flare flows out of from the top part of the fender. Don't think that would hurt the lines of the car like having the nose sit 3-4 iches higher than the tail of the car.

I think the problem is the rear wheel opening is too high relative to the body....the rear quarters look sectioned relative to a stock Mustang.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe move them up enough so that top of the wheel opening is at the bottom of the character line and the top of the flare flows out of from the top part of the fender.

Exactly. That would allow the nose of the car to 'point' lower, and make the rocker line either parallel with the ground, or slightly raked down-in-front. This would also bring the front of the roof down, but point the tail up slightly. The overall effect would be to match the slight rear 'sectioned' appearance Rob Hall mentions, and get the mass of the lower body to work better with the chopped top, as Rob Mattis refers to.

From the windshield back, for a hot-rod road-racer '60s vibe, I think the car is just about spot-on.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Considering the times, I wonder if the slight nose-high attitude was being influenced by what was happening on the drag strips around '64 or '65 when this was probably in the planning stages?

66DragRacers_zps439f349c.jpg

• 11 months later...

actually, no; the two i'm restoring are locked in closet limbo right now. i have no room to get models out and actually work on them, as my dedicated work room is now occupied. i haven't been able to indulge for several months and i'm pretty fed up about it. at one point i had to use the motorhome to work in... and now that IT is gone, there's nowhere "safe" in the house. grrrr.

• 3 years later...