Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:1 Mopar_Dodge`s Fastest Muscle Car Ever_2015 Challenger SRT "Hellcat"

If Dodge seemed to have taken a pause in the past couple of years while the old muscle-car rivalry between the Ford Mustang and Chevy Camaro reached new heights, it's making up for lost time with a quickness. Hot on revealing the 707-hp Dodge Challenger Hellcat for 2015, Dodge came forth today with an official proclamation: The Challenger Hellcat is the fastest factory muscle car to ever sprint a quarter-mile. Put that in your tires and smoke it.

Dodge says under the auspices of the National Hot Rod Association, it timed the Challenger Hellcat at 11.2 seconds and 125 mph down the strip on stock tires — faster than any production Mustang or Camaro, excluding those purpose-built for drag racing. When Dodge swapped the stock Pirellis for drag slicks, the Hellcat made it 10.8 seconds at 126 mph. The closet competitor to the Hellcat would be a 2013 Shelby GT500 with 662 hp, which lags about 0.3 seconds behind on stock tires.

You can watch the video below to see Dodge's versions of events and a run versus a 1971 Challenger for comparison. The rest of Detroit won't let itself see only the Hellcat's tail lights for long.

Reveal: 2015 Challenger SRT "Hellcat"

http://youtu.be/iYol7m3WjGQ

Tech Review: 2015 Challenger SRT “Hellcat”

http://youtu.be/Rh-z-0aeEhg

The problem I see with Chevrolet Camaro matching or passing the factory 707hp mark is the Corvette. Only when the Corvette far surpasses that mark will the Camaro follow. I think GM doesn't allow any other GM vehicle to match or be set the same as, in other words "beat", the Corvette. Camaro's (and Firebird T/A's) always received the previous, and slightly detuned, Corvette engines. Ford, on the other hand, will probably respond fairly quickly to the Hellcat in the next couple of years.

The only car both the Shelby guys( myself included) and the hellcat guys should fear is the upcoming C7 Z06. I already know that it takes nothing to get the 45 hp the dodge has on my car and I have already surpassed that. I added 2500 worth of parts and surpassed 750 at the tires! That's without an upper pulley swap to boot. Dodges electronics are what hold this engine back. Betting dodge has it sealed up pretty good there to keep the mod bugs out. I can't wait to see though

The problem I see with Chevrolet Camaro matching or passing the factory 707hp mark is the Corvette. Only when the Corvette far surpasses that mark will the Camaro follow. I think GM doesn't allow any other GM vehicle to match or be set the same as, in other words "beat", the Corvette. Camaro's (and Firebird T/A's) always received the previous, and slightly detuned, Corvette engines. Ford, on the other hand, will probably respond fairly quickly to the Hellcat in the next couple of years.

that's why corvette production was suspended when the 82 z28 came out.it was far more superior to the vette

The only car both the Shelby guys( myself included) and the hellcat guys should fear is the upcoming C7 Z06. I already know that it takes nothing to get the 45 hp the dodge has on my car and I have already surpassed that. I added 2500 worth of parts and surpassed 750 at the tires! That's without an upper pulley swap to boot. Dodges electronics are what hold this engine back. Betting dodge has it sealed up pretty good there to keep the mod bugs out. I can't wait to see though

If they lock that car and engine down like did many of the Pentastar equipped vehicles, it could take some time to at least get a programmer made for it. The Avenger and 200 first got that motor in '11, but Diablosport didn't get a program to market until earlier this year. They were able to cook them up quicker for the Wrangler, Challenger, Charger, and 300, but those were going to be more popular with people who would mod the 3.6 vs the 200/Avenger and especially the Minivans and Journey.

Part of the problem too is marketshare and the off chance of people wanting that ability, not as many Mopars on the roads as there are of any of the competing vehicles or of it's a not typically modded vehicle (like minivans), then if they're more difficult to hack on top of that, the manufacturers of these programmers may just figure it's not worth bothering to do so. Then you have the guys that are just too cheap to buy parts to mod vehicles too, I've heard Banks developed a turbo kit for the 4.0l XJ Cherokees to match their 4.0l TJ Wrangler kit, but chose not to produce it because most guys who mod Cherokees have built their own from junkyard parts or are too dang cheap to even do that. Same thing happened with the Sprintex Supercharger for the XJ, they made a handful for development purposes, but found there was no market for them and decided not to make them, but still do for the TJ and JK. Kinda leaves guys like me out because I'd rather have a source of prefabricated parts, if not a full kit than have to figure out what all needs to be done to make it work, then learn the skills to aftually make it happen.

Well, the '82 Camaro could likely have been far superior, I've also heard that the preproduction '83 Vettes were so horribly bad that GM just decided not to produce an '83 model year car.

Actually, there was no '83 Corvette. I know some C3 '82 Corvettes were sold in '83, but they were no different than other '82s.

Since the Renault Alliance won the Motor Trend Car Of The Year Award before the all new C4 was ready in '83, it was postponed as an expected shoe in for the award in '84, which it did win.

The '82 Camaro earned the 1982 Car Of The Year Award.

is it fair to compare a challenger ,Camaro, or stang to a world class sportscar like the vette? Totally different class of automobiles

is it fair to compare a challenger ,Camaro, or stang to a world class sportscar like the vette? Totally different class of automobiles

Absolutely. Everone does it. What do you thing the big 3 use as benchmarks when building halo cars? And the vette guys have no problems wanting to race our halo cars so should I be telling the next vette guy that wants a go that it's not fair cause it's not the same type of car ? Lol. I won't, I just love showing tail lights to vettes

You see motor trends review? It was slower in all areas compared to the 13/14 gt500. They claimed sticky tires would help it beat the Shelby but I already have sticky tires on mine so there goes that theory. Hope these hero numbers from dodge don't bite them in the butt in the real world. I can't wait to see...

Jeff Dunham, yes the ventriloquist comedian and car buff, got to take a pre-production Hellcat out today and posted some pics on FB. But anyway, one pic he posted is of the key fobs. The black one limits the horsepower to 500 and the red one unleashes everything.

Have you guys seen the Tumbler post about this? I would share it here but it is far from PG. Hilarious though.