Model Cars Magazine Forum

There was a whole aisle of jesus on the cross and last supper paintings. It's not the sort of things I expect to see in a retail store.

Apparently you are not familiar with the Hobby Lobby story. If you are interested, Google them and you will see that the ownership has deep religious beliefs and yes, has some Christian related items in their store.

They are the only national retail store that I am aware of that is closed on Sundays, specifically so their employees can spend time with their families and worship at church.

If you find Hobby Lobby offensive, I would advise you find a different store as they aren't going to change their business because of you.

My wife does a lot of crafts so I am in Hobby Lobby quite a bit. I just ignore the religious items and music. Being retired the 40% off coupon is a big help. My problem with them is that many times they only have one of each kit on the shelf.

I've been in the Princeton NJ area Hobby Lobby a number of times. I didn't have anyone approach me about religion and I didn't identify the background music as Christian.

It is a new store so it was clean and organized. Not much different than going to Michaels. The only thing I saw was a center of aisle display of white wooden crosses in different sizes, no doubt for Christian crafts. They looked like the ones people put on the highway where there was a fatal crash.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Been going to Hl for a long time, and have never been pushed by a Bible low life. Sure they have religious articles, and we all have a choice where we shop and what aisle to go down. Have you been using your glue and paint for things other than your kits. I will pray for you.

It may be at each store manager's disrection what to play for Muzak. I've never noticed any overtly religious music at the Latham, NY Hobby Lobby.

I love it - 40% coupon & a decent selection of new model releases (unlike Michaels & AC Moore's years-old releases).

I've never been accosted by anyone pushing their religion there either.

** in before the lock ** :D

Edited by Matt T.

I went last week. Didn't have any model stuff I needed.......but found some Flat Faux Leather cord in semi-gloss black that looks PERFECT for blower belts! Maybe even seat belts?? There is TONS of stuff usable in model building. Check out the metal jewelry parts.....eye pins and small springs etc....Scale plywood, dowels, glue, paint in the craft dept and always check the close out aisle....got some Testors spray paint for 50 cents!

BTW....with coupon the cord was $1.20 for a lifetime supply! (8 yards!!)

I went last week. Didn't have any model stuff I needed.......but found some Flat Faux Leather cord in semi-gloss black that looks PERFECT for blower belts! Maybe even seat belts?? There is TONS of stuff usable in model building. Check out the metal jewelry parts.....eye pins and small springs etc....Scale plywood, dowels, glue, paint in the craft dept and always check the close out aisle....got some Testors spray paint for 50 cents!

BTW....with coupon the cord was $1.20 for a lifetime supply! (8 yards!!)

Now that's what this topic is about. HL has a ton of stuff (at good prices) that we can use! If anyone is "offended" by the fact that the owners of HL are Christian, feel free to not shop there! But no need to post your personal objections to the store here... because that's not what we're talking about in this topic.

I know that HL is run by a Christian family and there is a bit of political hubub due to a corporate policy, but none of the stores that I have been in have any in-your-face items at all. They do have some inspirational or motivational items, such as "LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH", which is a good philosophy for anyone of any faith or non-faith. And, honestly, I've never heard any background music in any of those stores, either. What they do sell, which I personally find offensive, is way-too-much Chevy-themed man-cave stuff!!! :D

I know that HL is run by a Christian family and there is a bit of political hubub due to a corporate policy...

I know, I know... no politics here, so I am not going to give my opinion on this, I just want people to understand (without getting political or preachy) what the whole HL issue actually is. For the record (and I think a lot of people don't really understand this)... it's not a question of any corporate policy. It was a government policy that the feds were trying to force onto HL (and others) that the Supreme Court found to be unconstitutional.

In other words... it's not what HL was doing, but what the government was trying to force them to do. Big difference. We can't talk about the specifics here, but If anyone doesn't understand the issue, l urge you to look it up online and read up on it and you'll understand exactly what the issue was and why the Supreme Court ruled that the government was acting unconstitutionally. You might not agree with the court ruling... but at least you will understand the issue and be able to base your opinion, pro or con, on facts instead of emotion.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic... ^_^

Since you brought it up, why were they OK with providing those things before they were mandated, and only opposed to them after they were mandated? Is it about their religious beliefs, or anti-government beliefs?

The specific products in question were never provided before the mandate. PM me if you want to know more.

Not trying to derail this lively debate but I was wondering- are the cashiers at HL's outside of Colorado also so incredibly slow, inept, and overwhelmed that you need to factor that into the time it will take you to buy a model? (And I'm pretty sure, that at least in this case, it's not the weed)

Now, back to work...

Why mention it, then not allow open debate? Little strange. Only letting one side of the story out there.

I didn't post any details of the issue, or what I think of it. All I said is look it up if you're unsure of the issue, so you can form an informed opinion.

We're not here to debate government issues, but since "the issue" kept being brought up here, I thought it might be a good idea for people to educate themselves before they form an opinion.

I'm not taking sides. I didn't even say what I think of the issue... I only said look it up and get the facts before you form an opinion.

a little off topic here.

had to unlock a house so the exterminator could do his quarterly service. as he was leaving, he "God-blessed" me. it was the first time we had met, and I found it a bit odd under the circumstances.

but figured what the heck, if there is or if there ain't, I can use all the help I can get.

now back to the thread, already in turmoil ... .

Not trying to derail this lively debate but I was wondering- are the cashiers at HL's outside of Colorado also so incredibly slow, inept, and overwhelmed that you need to factor that into the time it will take you to buy a model? (And I'm pretty sure, that at least in this case, it's not the weed)

Now, back to work...

I've only been to the one in NJ a few times, but the cashiers there were middle aged women who seemed to be happy to be there and were very pleasant.

Well, one thing I know for sure... with more and more "traditional" hobby shops going out of business, there are fewer and fewer places for model car builders to shop (that is, if you prefer shopping in physical "brick and mortar" stores)... so HL seems like a reasonable alternative. If you've never been, at least do yourself a favor and check one out before you write them off.

I know, I know... no politics here, so I am not going to give my opinion on this, I just want people to understand (without getting political or preachy) what the whole HL issue actually is. For the record (and I think a lot of people don't really understand this)... it's not a question of any corporate policy. It was a government policy that the feds were trying to force onto HL (and others) that the Supreme Court found to be unconstitutional.

In other words... it's not what HL was doing, but what the government was trying to force them to do. Big difference. We can't talk about the specifics here, but If anyone doesn't understand the issue, l urge you to look it up online and read up on it and you'll understand exactly what the issue was and why the Supreme Court ruled that the government was acting unconstitutionally. You might not agree with the court ruling... but at least you will understand the issue and be able to base your opinion, pro or con, on facts instead of emotion.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic... ^_^

Very well not said, Harry.

Funny thing about so many hot-button issues: Usually the most vocal have the least real information, but flare off based on misconception.

In my experience too many people form their opinion on a topic without even knowing the facts of the issue. They base their opinion on preconceived ideas and beliefs.. in other words, they form an opinion that conforms to what they already believed beforehand. For example, if I believed (for whatever reasons) that electric cars were goofy and will never replace gas-powered cars, I might think that the new Electro 2000 that just came on the market is a useless piece of junk, based on what I already think of electric cars... even though the reality might be that the Electro 2000 is a huge technological step forward and a very good car.

That's what I meant when I mentioned forming an opinion based on facts instead of emotion. All I'm saying is that before you form your opinion on any topic, you owe it to yourself to at least understand both sides of the issue as well as you can before you come down on one side or the other. Everyone has an opinion on everything... might as well try to make that an informed opinion. ^_^

That way, people can debate a topic intelligently, pro and con, instead of based on emotion or misunderstanding of the topic. That's just common sense, not limited to this topic, but to life in general. ;)

As Harry and Dave Van mentioned, Hobby Lobby may not be the ultimate source for car modeling, but they carry a multitude of products that are useful for anyone into crafts, and truly for car modelers as well. Stuff you wouldn't look for or wouldn't be carried in a typical model shop (which would vary all over the place), such as wood veneers, mesh, art pens, fabric, flocking and embossing powder, all kinds of art and jewelry supplies and materials, etc etc etc.

Too bad they aren't open on a convenient shopping day like Sunday, but the same deal goes for Chick-Fil-A, one of my favorite fast chicken joints.

Edited by sjordan2

Because I build large scale, I find all sorts of material to use as upholstery on the seats and interiors of my models in their sewing section. I have found velour that makes perfect scale "carpet," I have found vinyl material that looks exactly like scale "leather," etc. No LHS is going to have a sewing section or carry that sort of stuff. HL does.

In their scrapbooking section they sell small sheets of paper with all sorts of patterns printed on them... dozens and dozens of different patterns. I have used paper printed to look like wood in my interiors, and I found a sheet printed to look like mother-of-pearl that was perfect for the gauge panel on a Pocher Mercedes dash.

I know this isn't a model car... but the seat was upholstered with vinyl material I found at HL. It looks exactly like in-scale leather:

right-side_zpsb298c580.jpg

And the gauge panel of my Mercedes, using a piece cut from scrapbooking paper found at... you guessed it... HL:

mercedes8.jpg

The specific products in question were never provided before the mandate. PM me if you want to know more.

Yes, they (Plan B and Ella) were, and the Greens even admitted as much in their initial filing. Claimed they didn't know. Didn't know, or didn't care? I would like to know more, namely the Greens' actual motives, but don't think a PM would help me out there.

I didn't post any details of the issue, or what I think of it. All I said is look it up if you're unsure of the issue, so you can form an informed opinion.

We're not here to debate government issues, but since "the issue" kept being brought up here, I thought it might be a good idea for people to educate themselves before they form an opinion.

I'm not taking sides. I didn't even say what I think of the issue... I only said look it up and get the facts before you form an opinion.

It's pretty obvious from you choice of words and phrases you emboldened as to what side you're on. Maybe you think you're coming across neutral, but you're not.