Model Cars Magazine Forum

Me? doing a '32? Nahhh!!! It can't be!

ismaelg

Hello,

No, it is not what you think. With all due respect, I still despise '32 fords and that is not going to change anytime soon.

I've never done a "classic" car. I am not really into those. But in a recent business trip I found at a hobby shop a Fred Cady decal set to do the 1933 Indy Pace Car and I DO love Indy. The car is a 1933 Chrysler Imperial Roadster. I bought the decals as I recalled seeing a model of that car in my LHS. Sure enough, it was there waiting for me. The model is AMT 1932 Chrysler Imperial Roadster. Talk about been outside of my comfort zone: A classic car and AMT!

This is the car I'll try to replicate:

1933-vi.jpg

This is the closest starting point:

DSCF2835-vi.jpg

There are some minor trim differences but it is a good start.

Typical AMT: More flash than a camera store:

DSCF3033-vi.jpg

Parts are heavy molded, but I've seen worse.

DSCF3034-vi.jpg

What did I get myself into? ;)

Main body components look decent:

DSCF3036-vi.jpg

And now for the traditional start of the project: "Modeler! glue engine halves together!"

DSCF3041-vi.jpg

This will be a slow project. I have hired Luis Ayala (papin67) and Art Anderson as advisors :D

The original idea was box stock curbside, but I'm not sure that idea will last :)

What do you think?

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

I say................It's gonna snow soon in Puerto Rico!! B) B)

I gotta see you build this one Ismael.............It may push me to try BUILDING my '32 Ford I got not long ago instead of groking it. I must be interested in it as I recently got street rod tires from Norm-----and I've been practicing soldering a piano hinge for it. (Whoops!----Saying too much here.......) B)

Keep us posted!

It may push me to try BUILDING my '32 Ford I got not long ago instead of groking it. I must be interested in it as I recently got street rod tires from Norm-----and I've been practicing soldering a piano hinge for it. (Whoops!----Saying too much here.......) :D

Now Im curious... :D

I say................It's gonna snow soon in Puerto Rico!! :lol: :lol:

I gotta see you build this one Ismael.............It may push me to try BUILDING my '32 Ford I got not long ago instead of groking it. I must be interested in it as I recently got street rod tires from Norm-----and I've been practicing soldering a piano hinge for it. (Whoops!----Saying too much here.......) :P

Keep us posted!

Do I get to see that next week? ;)

Do I get to see that next week? :lol:

Weeeellll.............I'm just playin' around with the idea right now. ;)I've got super small (I.D. 1/64th") diameter brass tubing and sheet to practice on. I haven't cut open any doors yet nor done any other body work.

The '55 Ford has a brand new paint job since I had to redo it.................looks better to me now, especially the roof.

But like Izzy, I'm ready to "break out of the mold" and try something different-------I haven't built a street rod before so I'll be askin' a number of questions when I get started on it. :blink:

Guest zebm1

Shoot tha 1st Indy Pace car was a pedal pusher...... :D

So I guess we're gonna call thisun.....Izzy's IMP!

Edited by zebm1

Izzy,

Congrats on breaking open new territory! That was originally MPC tooling and dates to the mid-60s as the Gangbusters series. The tooling is really tired at this point and you may want to find an original issue of it to build before you get in too deep. There are lots more sinkmarks and flashing on these older tools. I know you can handle it but I just thought to offer the suggestion. They don't cost much and aren't too hard to find.

Looking forward to seeing you finish it.

By the way, they had pacecars back in the teens!

Andy

Thanks Andy, I'll be on the lookout for it. The model does include a bullet damaged windshield, a safe, guns etc. from the gangbuster days.

Gang, I wrote a short article on the history of pace cars for the Scalebuilders forum, BUT, it's in spanish. So crack your dictionaries and translators out:

Breve historia de los Pace Cars

Thanks,

Forget the pacecar. Just turn it into a street rod. :D

NNLEast06_00126-vi.jpg

Hello there friend!Lyle! Now that is something ya dont see much of but wish you could a whole lot more especially with the engines used in those ays blown out and all Top notch build there fella! Senor G' in your hands Ive noticed anything is possible. Keep on wit the keepin on!!!

paz

ajulia

Hello,

The original idea was box stock... HA! Then I thought of doing it curbside with the hood shut. But then.... I thought of doing the side in brass:

DSCF7796-vi.jpg

DSCF7797-vi.jpg

but since it is quite flat and has many cuts and openings, I went with styrene.

DSCF7808-vi.jpg

DSCF7812-vi.jpg

DSCF7819-vi.jpg

Because of time considerations, I'll only do one side to open.

Thanks,

Hello,

The words "AMT" and "precision fit" are not usually used together. The Rumble seat works but it is quite lousy. So I made it fit tighter by extending the "sheet metal" and made it open and close better. I also made some snapping tabs so the seat can be installed after painting and assembly. The best way to show it is with a video:

here is a picture but the video is much better.

DSCF7799-vi.jpg

Thanks,