Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazda RX-7 LM '81

Brendan

Wow,....this last picture...this last picture!

By the way, what kind of rims are these ones?, Who make them?

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Here's what it looks like with tires and rims on.

IMG_1356.jpg

The rims are from the kit. They are 3-piece, two outside pieces and then the inside spokes. They supposed to be BBS, I believe. But I can't find any markings to tell me that they are from the photos I have. But most race teams ran with BBS back then. I still trying to find replacements for them. I do not like the way they look. They don't look right for the picture I have for the car. I was kind of hoping Fujimi or one of those companies would have a set, but it doesn't look like they do. I'm sure if you contacted Profil24, they might be able to sell you a set. Here's the email for them.

www.profil24-models.com

Also here's their contact email.

contact@profil24-models.com

Hope this helps if you are looking at getting them.

Got the decals on last night. And shot the clear this afternoon. The gold toned down quite a bit and matches the decals almost perfectly. Decals were kind of a pain to put on since they did not want to stick. Some of the decals are not scaled correctly, but it's hardly noticeable. That's compared to the reference photos of the real car. All I need to do now is let the clear cure and I'll get the body and chassis together hopefully by the end of this weekend. Here's some pictures.

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1361_r1.jpg

Holy Lotus, that RX-7 looks like it should have John Player sponsorship! :angry: That looks like it's coming along nicely, Brendan. Nick can help with the decals if you want <_< Question; is that a paint stand under the body, or did you make a dedicated decal installing stand?

Holy Lotus, that RX-7 looks like it should have John Player sponsorship! B) That looks like it's coming along nicely, Brendan. Nick can help with the decals if you want ;) Question; is that a paint stand under the body, or did you make a dedicated decal installing stand?

The stand that's underneath is what I use for painting. The reason why the car is on there is that I just shot clear over the decals. I make most of my stands to fit the cars I'm going to be building. When I'm applying decals, I usually have the model on a soft towel and move the towel to lay down the decals so I don't have to touch the model too much. Here's a picture of a couple of stands I've made. Real simple, $2-3 worth of wood.

IMG_1362.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I wish it was black. It would have been easier to paint. It's a really dark navy blue, which I ended up mixing up from Tamiya paints. That would be a pretty cool paint scheme to do a John Player Special.

Beautiful work! What kind of tape are you using for masking? It looks great

I use Tamiya's and 3M's automotive tape. I use the 3M's tape for going over a lot of rounded surfaces. It seems to stretch and conform to the surface better than the Tamiya's tape plus I can get the 3M in smaller widths.

Got the body onto the chassis. Kind of a pain in the butt thing in that you have to put the rear firewall in through the back window. Still need to put on the windows and the rest of the decals as well as a couple of small photoetch pieces. Plum the back the of car with some nylon braided line. Next you see this car, it will be in the under glass section. Thanks, everyone, for following along.

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

Edited by Brendan