Model Cars Magazine Forum

First post - 78' Firebird (Completed 12/10/12)

Mike Muncy

Thats a loaded question mike. My suggestion is to get some white plastic spoons. Test your paints on these and let them dry or "gas out" for a couple days. Worse come to worse, if it doesnt work out, they sell the big rattle cans of rustoleum black laquor at paintsville and louisa walmart now and you can shoot that under the one coat clear.

Btw, did you get my pm?

Edited by Skydime

Good suggestion, I tried to get the one coat lacquer in black to go with the clear, but all they had was a metal flake type finish with the black. Since the black is a gloss color I was kind of confused weather I needed the clear anyway. No I didntget it.

Yeah, I think I would stick with plain gloss on this build as well. There are always polishing kits to polish out the body but, I personally love the Wet Look One Coat Clear...and you can always polish it as well if you would like. I think it gives a build a deeper shine. I recently purchased a Revell 70s Corvette in orange plastic. It had no visible sink marks, swirls, or mold lines in the body. I liked the color so, I just shot it with the Wet Look Clear and did the trim work. It turned out excellent!

BTW, the pm was pretty detailed but, to break it down. AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, and Michael's are your three biggest retailers (that I know of) in Barboursville/Huntington. Basically, it boils down to get Hobby Lobby and Michael's Apps if you have a smart phone and bookmark the AC Moore website. If you don't have a smartphone, just print out multiple weekly coupons, take them to the store with you, and check out a couple different times through different checkout lines so you can use more than one coupon per trip. You can usually save 40-50% on any one regular priced item with coupon. Also, don't forget to check out Ollie's to see if they have new kits and get Duplicolor paint for less than a dollar a can. I think they even have some big cans for about $2.

Edited by Skydime

mike

i was in the same boat as you are about two years ago. I had built models as a kid, never detailed and always ended up broken within days. My suggestion to you is this: continue to buy kits that interest you and try different paint schemes with them, use laquer one coat, acrylic and enamel paints, you will find what you like and what you are comfortable using and what you like to use in time. Practice makes perfect and in order to achieve most of the detail you will see on this or other sites you will need to amass a laundry list of tools and skills. What i personally have done is when I get to a part of a specific model that is out of my league, due to lack of skills or proper tools, I shelf it and make a list of what I need to buy or practice before I move on with it. And, above all else, continue to use the micheals and hobby lobby coupons so that you do not get really pissed when you mess something up really bad. Keep looking at builds and works in progress and ask questions.

Thanks Alan, I truly appreciate it. Right now I'm just enjoying the hobby for what it is. Not a huge amount of money invested, some spare time killed when I'm home bored, something I can take my time, and finally now I can enjoy on the shelf because it is done! I know it isn't perfect, but I never really got frustrated with it and although I know it could look better, I'm satisfied that it's done and I did OK on it. It's no show winner, and the only modification I did to it was the engine belts made of tape. Other than that, I just detailed it the best I could with what knowledge I had, definitely learned a lesson or two on the next model ('70 superbird!) That will carry me into the next build. It was just what I hoped and expected it would be. I made something I'm proud of, I made it for me. I'm glad I got to share it with my family and you guys on here. It was truly enjoyable.

Anyway, the major downfall is the paint. I used the black enamel paint. I started to sand it to smooth it out for the clear, which I did on the hood which turned out OK, but for some reason my sand paper got thrown away...lol. So, I stuck with the paint straight from the can. A little wavy, but it will do for my first model car in years.

Also, I know I'm still missing a couple of small decals.

Here's the pics!

DSC_5193.jpg

Engine bay

DSC_5195.jpg

Interior

DSC_5200.jpg

Side shot

DSC_5202.jpg

T-Tops off!!

Looks great!!! I really like the looks of the second generation Firebirds and Camaros and my middle son isinto them. I wouldn;t want to own one though as I find them uncomfortable to ride in with the seat so low to the fround. My son had an '81 Trans Am SE with the 403 engine and that thing was quick and fun to drive.. hmmmmmmmmm... :rolleyes: maybe on second thought, I wouldn't mind owning a real 1:1. ;)

Edited by impcon

Not to threadjack but, Geno, that tornado didn't miss us by much either. We actually left town when we heard it was supposed to come toward us. We got back to the area and went to Salyersville to check on my wife's family. It was horrible. It looked like one of those apocalyptic movies...or like a war zone even. Just tragic.

Yes Ken, it was pretty nasty. I have family in the Salyersville area as well. Mike, all you need are some Burt Reynolds and Sally Fields figures to put in it, lol. B)

Edited by Geno

one more bit of "wisdom" that I have learned here. BMF is bare metal foil they make it in a few different metal types including gold. I always hated chrome on cars and especially models because it is such a pain to paint free hand the bmf makes it relatively easy and looks 1000 times better than brushed paint. I'd invest in some if I were you it really takes the frustration of a perfect paint job ruined by free handing the trim.

Nice! Great job on this. What I would love to do is take one of these models and then take a 2010 Camaro and make a 2010 Trans Am. Would also like to do it with a GTO also!

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I did that with a Hot Wheels Camaro a few years back. Here's what I came up with.

TA_07_angle.jpg

TA_07_side.jpg

TA_07_front.jpg

TA_07_rear.jpg

Mike, I just realized I posted on this thread, yet I didn't say anything about your build. I am so terribly sorry for that. It was incredibly rude of me and I cannot tell you how terrible I feel about it. I love this car, your model looks great. Somewhere, Burt Reynolds is licking his chops over this one... nice job!!!