Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sox & Martin 70 Cuda

B-Ram

Hey All,

I've gotten my next kit to build. The Revell Sox & Martin 70 Cuda. I have never don a build thread before. Would there be any interest. This will be a learning experience for me. I have been out of the hobby for many years and am regaining my skills.

This kit was issued in 2014.

post-14482-0-59309300-1413732748.jpgpost-14482-0-95536000-1413732769.jpgpost-14482-0-50629600-1413732791.jpg

I will be spending some time gathering research information before starting with the build.

Bill

Hi Bill,

While I've been building for decades now, it's only recently that I've begun posting some of my work. My experience so far is that it's a great way to encourage oneself to keep at the project. It's exciting to photograph the progress, post it, and then begin receiving feed back. I also find this forum to be friendly, with thoughtfull comments. It also improves your skills much in the way that joining a club does. Modelling is a solitary experience, so sharing your work is always a thrill, whether by way of a show, club meeting or here on th e forum.

I would say, go for it! I would very much like to see how you approach the S&M build.

Cheers Misha

Hi Misha,

I agree with everything you said. I hope this build will be a two way street. Although my skills so far aren't that great, I like to share what I know. Everyone on this site has been encouraging. I think this will be a fun adventure.

Bill

Hey Everyone,

First update. I spent some time making a wired distributor. I have a little work to finish it.

post-14482-0-55044400-1413757391.jpg

The engine block on the 70 Cuda is orange. The closest color that I can find is Tamyia Brilliant Orange TS56. Any other suggestions for the correct color.

Bill

Bili, Check , and see if the photo that you are using for reference is of one of the cars that was raced in 1970 or of a restoration or clone car. Back in 1970, Jake King painted all of his engines Ford blue. If you are building a copy of the car in your photo then orange would be correct! lol

WF

This has been beat too death! Die hard ford fans say blue! Now i have built atleast 7 SnM kits! All orange blocks, the research i have looked into! Only a cpl times was blue used! This was due to lack of orange ! Now others here have built more then me of the SnM cars~and at the end of the day! Its your car! Build as you see fit! Welcome back to the hobby! There are maney changes in after market parts! You can build it till it looks like some gas an it will run! Lol

Hi Alan,

I read your thread S&M Cuda. Your build turned out great. After doing more research, I am going with orange. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours.

By the way, I see that you are on the Florida gulf coast. So am I.

Bill

Hi Misha,

I agree with everything you said. I hope this build will be a two way street. Although my skills so far aren't that great, I like to share what I know. Everyone on this site has been encouraging. I think this will be a fun adventure.

Bill

Bill, I always believe all builds have skill and something to share. I learn so much from all builders here. Looking forward to your build...

Color pictures of the engine in the 70'Cuda from back in the day is hard to find, belive me I have looked, but from the black and white pictures I have found so far where you actually see the engine block and heads it looks too dark to be orange, and as Jake King was known to paint the engines he built Ford engine blue it's possible the engine was blue...but it's hard to tell from black and white pictures so I can't be sure.

Another thing...Sox & Martin did both lots of match racing and regular NHRA/AHRA races so there can be differences between the different setups.

The Revell model is patterned from the restored car wich have orange engine block, aluminum heads and waterpump so either way would work and as it's your model you do as you please.

Edited by Force

Want more to confuse you? I have a book called Drag Sport Illustrators - A Pictorial of 1970. The book chronicles the history of the 1970 Pro Stock season with lots of photos. In that book there are at least four different versions of 1970 'cudas that Ronnie drove. Painted bumpers, chrome bumpers, different decal placement and lettering. There are obviously different paint jobs with red tail panels or white tail panels along with different white paint treatments along the lower edge of the body. One photo even shows a car with an AAR spoiler on the back.

S&M obviously had a number of different Pro Stock 'cudas in 1970. Can you imagine how many different engines that they used that year? Is it possible that they had some orange engines? We'll probably never know.

WFdragsport-vi.jpg

WF

Hey guys, great information. Thanks. I have a way to go before I get to the exterior, but it looks like I am going to have lots of options. To add to my confusion, I plan to paint the engine Hemi Orange and doing a color search, I have several representations of the color. Hmmm

Bill

I would find a photo that I liked and copy that particular car. If anyone questions the authenticity of your work....whip out the photo!

Ths is my plan. Use the cover photo on the April 1970 Popular Hot Rodding as my basis,,,it's the ONLY picture I have of the car where the actual car and the kits hood scoop match.

Ps, great find on the picture of it with a Shaker,,,thats a new one on me.

Edited by gtx6970