Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best resin casting starter kit.

There are several guys on here who know a lot about this subject and can help you out a lot. However, for a good overall introduction to the process and materials involved, and no bee ess, this is a pretty good place to start. Free online how-to videos by the manufacturers of many of the materials involved.

http://www.freemansupply.com/video.htm

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Roger, I cant really recommend any "kit" because I'm not overly thrilled at what they offer. I'd suggest getting 1lb HS2 rubber from Alumilite and some Alumilite white casting resin or something similar from Smooth On. HS2 is great for beginners as well as intermediate casting. You do not need any vacuum, etc with HS2 and it yields very high quality flexible molds which are quite durable. Good luck.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you Roger, you can find everything you need there. Alumilite High Strength 3 mold rubber, Amazing Casting Resin, non hardening modeling clay, etc. You should be able to get all three things I mentioned for less than $60, even less if you use the coupon.

I would hold of on making tires for now, at least until you get the basics mastered.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you Roger, you can find everything you need there. Alumilite High Strength 3 mold rubber, Amazing Casting Resin, non hardening modeling clay, etc. You should be able to get all three things I mentioned for less than $60, even less if you use the coupon.

I would hold of on making tires for now, at least until you get the basics mastered.

Hobby Lobby sells resin stuff?? Where have I been? lol Thanks for mentioning this ima go look Saturday

Hobby Lobby sells resin stuff?? Where have I been? lol Thanks for mentioning this ima go look Saturday

Be careful about the Hobby Lobby stuff, the resin has a shelf life and will go bad, needed to cast a small engine and did not want to wait for my lhs to get some resin in. So bought some at Hobby Lobby. Wrong move resin was bad and nothing was usable from the pour. Asked a pro caster about it and he said resin was bad,

I was going to mention that as well. I always order fresh supplies from Alumilite or Smooth On as I've seen quite the dust build up on the small supply at Hobby Lobby and always feared it was sitting forever on the shelf. Also, I would recommend the DVD from Alumilite ... it is an excellent source of information.