Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I was not only irked, but extremely surprised when I opened my gas bill & found that they "thought" I owed them $497.00 for the month of December! :o I thought not!! Seems our meter reader mis-read our meter! Steve

Numbers are hard.

a Subway sandwich technician that wanted to charge me extra for putting more than a teaspoon of cheese on my "cheese steak" sammitch!!!

I mean really, doesn't the title Cheese Steak give a clue that the customer expects more than a teaspoon of shredded cheddar cheese??!!!

Damned sammitch didn't look anything like the menu picture.

So is cheese.

I'm bummed. My mother in law died last evening. She was in a nursing home, an Altzheimers patient for many years so her quiet peaceful passing is a relief for the family. She is no longer suffering. The lady we knew has been gone for years.

Still, I mourn her passing. She was the nicest lady, we used to call her Mrs Cunningham. In fact I never had any issues with my inlaws at all in our 35 years together. And peace to my bro-in-law who had the awesome and awful responsibilities of being her guardian and decision maker. Good job Don, I know how that goes from my folks.

Lousy pet owners. Today I had a dog hanging by my front door. About a 6 month old Lab mix. She was wet,cold and shaking and very scared. I went out and found her to be a very sweet dog so I took a towel out and dried her off the best I could. Called animal control who said they would do a pick up and could I get her in the back yard. The dog followed me and in fact did not want to leave my side. I pet her for a bit and then went inside and got her some water and some bologna. Very sweet dog and if I didn't have 2 cats I may have considered keeping her. Animal control got her and scanned her for a chip. No chip, big surprise. Hopefully they will find her a good loving home. What irks me no end is the fact that people can take a animal in as part of their family and then when they move or don't want the animal anymore just dump them. Now I guess there is the possibility that this dog just got out but with no chip and no collar with any info how could they ever expect to get their pet back ?

Edited by cobraman

Lousy pet owners... What irks me no end is the fact that people can take a animal in as part of their family and then when they move or don't want the animal anymore just dump them...

Yup. My cat companion of the past 12 or so years was just dumped in my old neighborhood. She was obviously someone's pet, as she wasn't full grown and had already been fixed (which was a good thing). Very intelligent, affectionate and good natured animal, no trouble whatsoever.

Still hard for me to believe that someone could just throw her away like a beer can or a McDonald's wrapper as they drove by.

One more reason I'm increasingly fed up with humans.

X3 My wife and I have taken in cats and dogs that were abandoned during the downturn, Our pets are our family. It really set my wife off when she reads on websites that this dog or that cat was dumped because they were old, or in bad health. They are family .

Edited by bismarck

Ray, The sad fact is that economic downturns have resulted in a lot of "people" abandoning pets when they lost homes to foreclosures or evictions or moves to other locales forced by lost jobs, etc.

The bad news, in Maricopa County, has been the staggering numbers. In 2002, 60,589 abandoned pets were taken in by Animal Control and shelters county-wide. That same year, 59,233 of those orphaned pets were euthanized in Maricopa County.

The better news is that the numbers are declining - still bad, but better. In 2011, 46,910 animals were abandoned in Maricopa County and 45,922 were euthanized.

In 2014, 38,200 pets were abandoned and taken in by Animal Control and various shelters. There are no euthanasia numbers for 2014 yet.

The good news is that a concerted effort over the past several years resulted in adoption (no pun intended) county-wide of a policy to not euthanize any healthy abandoned animals taken in. No healthy dog or cat has been euthanized in Maricopa County since September 30, 2005, according to Animal Control officials.

The numbers of pets adopted by new families has grown tremendously.

The flip side of the coin, then, would be that the too-high numbers of euthanasia indicates that a large percentage of abandoned pets are too sick or injured to save by the time they are received at shelters.

I've been involved w/ a few of the local dog rescue groups here in the Phoenix area--donated food and time to them, as well as adopting 6 dogs (3 Yorkies, 1 Aussie terrier from the Maricopa County shelter and 2 small terrier mixes) over the last 3 years (we've had 4 older dogs pass on in the last 3 years). It's been a very rewarding experience to be part of..

Other than my time in the military I have never been without at least one dog in my life.

Funny story and I witnessed this too.

During the great Mississippi river flood of 1993 we were evacuating neighborhoods on the south side. At one house, the door is answered by an extremely pregnant woman with a "gentleman" standing behind. When informed of the evacuation this guy picks up a 12 pack, the pit bull puppy and tells her " See ya at Jeff's place babe".

Hey at least he thought of the dog.

:lol:

G