Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stupid People Doing Stupid Things

Quick GMC

There is stupid and then there is stupid. The guy diving into a cactus, the gal swallowing cinnamon, the guy driving 100 mph in a residential neighborhood. That is pure essence of stupid. The lady backing the van into the garage with the rear door open, well maybe I can see that one. I grew up on a farm and was moving heavy machinery all the time and it would get routine. Then one time something would change and the stuff would hit the fan. Should have thought of it, but there are things we are conditioned to do and didn't recognize the consequences of failure to do one little thing. Example. The draw bar on the tractor had pins to keep it from swinging. You always put the pins in when you were going on the road and took them out in the field. Going home one evening and before I left the field I stopped to put the pins in, but before I did that I had to relieve myself. Something in my mind said I had done the routine. Got off the tractor and got back on and did something in between. About a half mile down the road the implement I was towing started swinging wildly and almost took me off the road. Stupid? I wouldn't call it that.

Unfortunately, for men, most of the truly stupid things we do, especially when we are younger, either involves a female or friends that we are trying to impress. It is a good thing they don't jail you for being stupid from time to time or we would all be in jail.

...Then one time something would change and the stuff would hit the fan. Should have thought of it, but there are things we are conditioned to do and didn't recognize the consequences of failure to do one little thing.

As a pilot, you should know better than to fall into that.

I've had my share of brain farts, but I really, actively try to learn from them and catch myself BEFORE I do something stupid.

THINK. It only takes a second to kill a kid, permanently injure or cripple someone, or set the house on fire.

Stupid people doing stupid things is understandable. I mean, they're too stupid to know better, right?

SMART people (and pilots are usually at least a little smarter than average) really have no good excuse.

23665d1107315959-airplane-oops-web-sight536891d1202985720-airplane-oops-situatio''

plane_oops1.jpg5-2.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Oh heck yes! Like landing at the wrong airport with a 747 and now don't have enough runway to get airborne again! Or getting embroiled in a discussion over a laptop in flight and driving past your intended landing field by about a half an hour. This is one of my favorites and a career ender for two Air Force pilots - Gear up landing on Diego Garcia. What makes this one so bad it that it happened on Diego Garcia and shut down the runway for days. No big deal but Diego is in the middle of the Indian Ocean. 5 degrees south latitude, due south of India and there is only a single runway and no other runways for thousands of miles. They just skipped one little step on the landing check list. Gear down? Check?

http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/bombers4.html

• 2 weeks later...

When your born dumb, its for a long time.

That came from a guy i worked with who repeatedly told the owner of the company to his face f you, when asked to do something he didn't like.

Then wondered why he got fired

Yes, stupid won't wash off!

I know a guy who is a walking disaster. Screws up every job he's assigned, lies that he's covered details and causes big disasters due to his lack of action, lack of planning, lack of vision or by doing stupid things that any normal person would say is inappropriate. When called on the carpet, he denies any responsibility and flails about, blaming everyone around him, the vendors involved, the position of the sun and the moon... you get the picture!

And he wonders why he's not in charge of the world!

Yes, stupid won't wash off!

I know a guy who is a walking disaster. Screws up every job he's assigned, lies that he's covered details and causes big disasters due to his lack of action, lack of planning, lack of vision or by doing stupid things that any normal person would say is inappropriate. When called on the carpet, he denies any responsibility and flails about, blaming everyone around him, the vendors involved, the position of the sun and the moon... you get the picture!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> And he wonders why he's not in charge of the world!

Funny...he sounds to me like most of the people who ARE in charge.