Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Mothers Worry"

Mr.Zombie

Simple... I disagree. If you go by partscount, yes. But the fit is just horrible, so if you want to have it decent, and not a gluebomb, it takes a good portion of cutting, cleaning, sanding and whatnot to make it fit. There are Tamiya kits with 1000 parts that build faster.

I dunno if it's a legit model. I didn't rally care :)

Thank you all for the kind comments. Glad you like it.

Oh, no I wasn't referring that they were simple to make look right, I've spent more time on Roth and Weird Oh's kits making them look and fit right than I have any other kit I've ever done. That includes some garage kits that were pretty poorly executed.

The "Simple" comment refers to the number of parts, the way that they were intended to fit together. They were originally designed to be a quick easy builder which I sort of see as the "Snap Kits" of their day. (Even though they were not easy to put together.) The original Mother's Worry kit that I built really isn't a whole lot better fit wise than the later reissue, normally that's not the case.

it's really only been recently that I've seen these kits built with the attention they really deserve. No one ever really thought of using filler, or fitting them together correctly, you just needed to use a little more of that stinky glue to fill in the gaps and melt things together! At least that's what I've seen in the quality of craftsmanship with some of the ones I've picked up at garage sales and off of eBay.

Actually Revell did a pretty amazing job of taking Ed Roth's (or Newton's) renderings of Rat Fink, Mother's Worry, Drag Nut, Mr Gasser, Angel Fink... and all the others they made. Ed made some serious money on the sale of those kits too, until Revell sidestepped him and released them under the "Advent" brand under different names, those kits go for ridiculous money on eBay. Ed didn't get anything out of the deal until Revell probably got a cease and desist letter, which is why they probably weren't re-released until the late 80's early 90's timeframe. Even though the earlier releases were going for silly money for the time, model building as a whole hadn't experienced its second wind yet so it's even more amazing.

Really like your build and finish and photos of this kit. That would be "Madras" pattern style you meticulously painted on the shirt. I built one of these kits back in the late 60's, Its gone but have one in the stash and will get to it one day. If it were not for Ed Roth, T-Shirts would still be underwear. Glad to see others join in the dialogue of these kits, you especially "Skip". You are right about Revell taking Roth (Newton) images and creating three dimentional model kits by employing talented sculptors. Liked the link to Weldonmc, had a nice visit. "How far do I push it" ? Only your imagination will hold you back. One suggestion, for high gloss on eyes and gums, is 2 part epoxy glue, you can even create drool if you time it right. Keep building !

Cheers Eh!

The question about "pushing it" is a tricky one, as there is potential in these kits to go totally nuts with everything, but on the other side you have to respect the original, the age, and yea...

The shirt was painted like that because I've only seen these with one colored shirts, which is a shame since there's plenty of space for "somethin". I thought either Hawaii Shirt or that one...

Speaking of these kits, I'd love to be able to purchase the "Fink Exterminator" Kit.