Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

This is the first time I've responded to any subjects on this forum , but the craftsmanship exhibited is just amazing. I was not all that inspired to with the type

of car , seeing that I like muscle & drag subjects The techniques you have applied made it difficult not to write and say awesome work.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. Even though updates are getting scarce as life continues to take priority, work still goes on for my Falcon build. Here is where I'm up to.

In the 80's, rear window louvres were a very popular addition to all shapes and sizes of cars here in Australia. They weren't factory supplied but they were aftermarket items made by Aunger that were easily available for most makes and models. The two Falcons that I am building both had them so I had to make them too. Evergreen to the rescue again.

m3k0.jpg

c41.JPG

5y0k.jpg

I decided to make some reflectors for the tail lights too.

hf37.jpg

They fit nicely in the body.

0w5j.jpg

And a tow bar was required. I put a piece of sprue into my Dremel and used various blades and chisels to machine a towball.

qibn.JPG

mlog.jpg

Everything in place.

xzvy.jpg

I wasn't happy with the tail light lenses that I made earlier so I remade them and I also remade the lower roll pan panel and tweaked the bumper to fit better.

a4ht.jpg

Here is a real one.

uvej.jpg

I still need to cast the tail light lenses in clear resin. I think there is no more major construction left for the curbside version so I need to switch back to the full detail version to get it up to spec with the curbside car.

Thanks for following. Thanks for looking.

Cheers

ShawnS

Glad to see more updates on this one! Those louvers were used a lot here in the states in the late 70s through the mid 80s as well. I and my brother had them on Chevy Monzas, heck the kits for the Monzas even included them! LOL

Your work looks really impressive. Looking forward already to the next update and at some point the finished project.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. To counter the fact that the curbside version of this build lacks that something extra I decided to build a box trailer for it. It's modelled on the one that my grandfather owned at the same time as his Falcon and will be finished with a fair bit of weathering. It's mostly Evergreen with Revell '68 Mustang tyres on some sort of Chevy wheels. It also has T2M nuts and bolts and some chain from an unknown source. The tray is diamond plate from thepartsbox.com.

h2v1.jpg

sw3s.JPG

7lr.JPG

ms5b.jpg

kltc.jpg

ul4w.jpg

mfbx.jpg

At the moment I am in the process of moulding and casting the chassis parts and the other parts that are yet to be cast. I think its pretty darn close to being ready for paint.

Cheers

ShawnS

• 1 month later...

Hello again.

I have finally managed to get around to casting the chassis sections and they turned out well. There was a little clean up to do but nothing too drastic.

l4gg.JPG

qlf2.jpg

I added extra detail to it by removing the molded in diff cover and replaced it with a copy of the one I made for the full detail version. I also added springs that were cut up pieces from a spares box part and added brackets and nuts and bolts to the chassis and rear suspension.

ue9z.jpg

rsf.JPG

I made the exhaust too.

uisr.jpg

g6bz.jpg

mdka.jpg

When I cast the rear bumper I added some black colour to the resin.

sjbw.jpg

I cast the tail lights in clear resin and painted a set for effect to see what they looked like.

dkj6.jpg

t28p.jpg

I am happy with the way that things turned out and once I have finished with the rest of the details on the curbside chassis I can finally move on to painting the whole thing.

Thanks for the comments and the kind and encouraging words. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for the curbside version so I will keep swinging away at until it's done.

Cheers

ShawnS

Sunday morning, coffee and a bagel. I see this thread. Read ALL of the pages.

Going back to collecting comics.

The underhood panels with their complex shapes kept me coming back to them over and over yet again. For the life of me i don't have the patience for that nor the skillset.

I was complaining about parts on my Enthusiast Dino build and after seeing this I'm simply going to build it as best i can and pack it away for none to see.

WOW, and Awesome are words that simply DO NOT describe what has been accomplished on these pages. They fall utterly short. I'm not certain what words do apply but I'm not going to try.

BRAVO MATE!

Bob

Thanks again for the support and the kind words guys.

Are you using a vaccum/ pressure pot type set up for your casting? Maybe even a vibration table of some sort? Those casts look fantastic! (not to mention the ENTIRE rest of this project) Well done!

Hi Clint,

No I'm not using a pressure pot or vibration table. It's all done by being careful and patient with the mixing and pouring of the resin although I do need to start researching info for either one of those because I'm getting too many air bubbles (and rejected parts) with the clear resin that I'm using.

Cheers

ShawnS

• 1 month later...