Model Cars Magazine Forum

International V800 A/C "Freon" Compressor Location

Not an IH engine guru, but studying the engine, I would SPECULATE is was mounted on the upper right side below the alternator. Reason being there is a bracket in place for a smaller accessory. Granted that may all be for an air compressor but that does not seem to be enough space for one. Famous last words though. Now how all this changed if there was hydraulic power steering AND air cond AND an air compressor is another story.

Perhaps Richard or someone can correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall IH typically used "Ford" AC compressors during this time frame. I am quite confident of that at least on older S Series with DT466 and smaller IH diesels.

Good luck!

Edited by olsbooks

Not an IH engine guru, but studying the engine, I would SPECULATE is was mounted on the upper right side below the alternator. Reason being there is a bracket in place for a smaller accessory. Granted that may all be for an air compressor but that does not seem to be enough space for one. Famous last words though. Now how all this changed if there was hydraulic power steering AND air cond AND an air compressor is another story.

Perhaps Richard or someone can correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall IH typically used "Ford" AC compressors during this time frame. I am quite confident of that at least on older S Series with DT466 and smaller IH diesels.

Good luck!

It makes sense that the location you suggest would work. The air compressor is already mounted (upper driver's side) and the power steering goes behind the rounded "nub" on the lower driver's side.

I just looked at an old magazine article with a 4300 V800.There is 2 pictures ,one of the top front and the other of the whole right side.No signs of the A/C.I'm guessing it would of been on the drivers side,around frame level

now that I looked harder it could be behind the splash guard in the picture.

It makes sense that the location you suggest would work. The air compressor is already mounted (upper driver's side) and the power steering goes behind the rounded "nub" on the lower driver's side.

scan0005-8.jpg

scan0006-7.jpg

Edited by mistermodel