Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

A couple of days ago, at the local Flea Market...

1. Testors #376 46-47-48 Ford Coupe: In the long, flimsy flat box that was seriously crushed and beat up, as usual.  But the kit is fine, with most sprues still sealed in the original inner plastic bags.  Even the Mylar "chrome" sheet and adhesive whitewalls are still in there. May cross-kit it with the new Revell 48, or just build it. I built one of these MANY years ago and managed to fumble-thumb it together. But I do remember that multi-piece body being a challenge.  Cost: $10.

2. Italeri #769 Platform Trailer: 1980's vintage. Basically a flatbed trailer with low sides. I can do something with it. Cost: $12

And yesterday, courtesy of the Hobby Lobby Clearance aisle:  Revell Snap-Tite 63 Corvette ($10.99) and AMT TeeVee Dune Buggy ($14.99). Also used the 40% off coupon for the AMT 63 Corvette re-issue.

For anyone else in the area, this is the HL in Anderson, SC.  Also in the clearance aisle: AMT '53 Stude "Mr. Speed" and AMT 1/32 Avanti. Almost grabbed that Stude, but I already have several. And a resin pillared-coupe body for one of them.

Was in hobby lobby yesterday while my wife was picking up a few things, and went over to the model section. Got a real surprise. A young fellow was just putting out one(yes one ) kit of the Jim Cushman Duster. Some how the wind blew just then and it flew from his hand to mine. It was fate. With the 40% off it  followed me home. Had the original many years ago. Am I a very happy camper? Heck Yes!!!!! My wife heard me giggle from five rows over. Richard

I've been on a bit of a buying & trading spree lately......Almost all Pontiacs!

A couple of weeks ago, I traded a couple of things with another member for a 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Today I got a message from a gentleman I deal with that my new '70 Bonneville kit is in the mail.

And just to add icing to the cake, today Mr. mailman brought me a mint, unbuilt '62 bonneville hard top, along with a very nice built '63 Bonneville hard top.

The '63 promises to be a very easy resto & the '62 is in such nice shape, I won't even have to have the chrome re-done.

The only "non-Pontiac" acquisition I've made recently was a '62 Dodge Dart convertible, which I bought mainly because it came with an up-top.

Steve

photo DSCN4940_zpsjfp6k7td.jpg

Ups brought me the paint I ordered from Hobby Lobby on Monday or Tuesday. Total of 9 cans.

got%20today%20and%20cobra%205%20002_zps9

Test that short cuts paint before you use it on a body. I used that stuff in red on a Revell deuce roadster and the paint crazed the plastic bad enough that it was unsaveable. Was not a happy camper that day.

Test that short cuts paint before you use it on a body. I used that stuff in red on a Revell deuce roadster and the paint crazed the plastic bad enough that it was unsaveable. Was not a happy camper that day.

Thanks for the heads up but I have used the Short Cuts paint many times without a problem. Maybe due to using Duplicolor primer ?

I've been on a bit of a buying & trading spree lately......Almost all Pontiacs!

A couple of weeks ago, I traded a couple of things with another member for a 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Today I got a message from a gentleman I deal with that my new '70 Bonneville kit is in the mail.

And just to add icing to the cake, today Mr. mailman brought me a mint, unbuilt '62 bonneville hard top, along with a very nice built '63 Bonneville hard top.

The '63 promises to be a very easy resto & the '62 is in such nice shape, I won't even have to have the chrome re-done.

The only "non-Pontiac" acquisition I've made recently was a '62 Dodge Dart convertible, which I bought mainly because it came with an up-top.

Steve

photo DSCN4940_zpsjfp6k7td.jpg

Steve.... That is SWEET...!!!

Went to the movies and since Hobby Lobby is right across the street you know I had to go. Picked up some more paint and this kit. I built this kit a few times as a youngster and thought maybe now I could do a good job on it. If not a good job perhaps at least a better job. : )

Stopped by the local antique/junk store on a whim today(never been to this one before) and scored an MPC 'Thunder Wagon' El Camino Monster truck. 100% complete, unassembled, and in sealed bags. For $12, and me not having one, I didn't even even hesitate or haggle the price. 

Thanks for the heads up but I have used the Short Cuts paint many times without a problem. Maybe due to using Duplicolor primer ?

Chris i have used Krylon Short cuts and other Krylon and Rustoleum paint with and without Tamiya primer no problems...

Chris i have used Krylon Short cuts and other Krylon and Rustoleum paint with and without Tamiya primer no problems...

I have used krylon paint before with no issues which is why I didn't test it first. I just sprayed it on the bare styrene. Within a minute or so it reacted badly with the plastic. It crazed it like the paint was too hot for the plastic. I was surprised and may have said a few bad words. Maybe I got a bad can. This was a couple of years ago.

Are you intending to use the clear enamel over the lacquers, Ray?

Yes Kevin this high gloss clear works well over the lacquer paint. I don't always use it but I have several times without any issues. It does however take a longer time to dry. The paint in the photo was bought for a different project and not this Ford.

I just got in a Fujimi Lotus Esprit, Hasegawa Porsche 944 turbo, a Smer Alfa Romeo Alfetta 1950, an MPC 1969 Barracuda, 2 cutting boards, every size of Plastruct hex rods, 6 sheets of Tamiya diorama brick base, a 100 pack of Olfa blades, and a region and zone-free blue ray player:)

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...