Model Cars Magazine Forum

Work of Art

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Not one bit. I am true beliver in every thing F1 is. The technology, the passion and the history. Where would automotive development be if everything was like the dinasours NASCAR runs?

Edited by 935k3

These incredible machines are like Mike said, designed & built to the specs of the rule book, then thoroughly tested by computer, in wind tunnels (both scale models and 1:1) and finally limited (by the rule book) on-track testing (which officially starts next week prior to the seasons start in 40 days).

Some teams do a better job of making them 'pleasing to the eye' (I think they look best in bare carbon myself, but they gotta have liveries), here's a linky to the four teams that have officially launched this years cars so far:

http://www.formula1.com/gallery/launches/

Functional?, sure, Ferrari designed it.

But Beauty?? Maybe a technical work of art.

This looks like,

A) One of those 4 blade Schick Razors,

B) A vending machine laying down on its back,

C) A Street Luge

C) If only it did have some of the styling of early NASCARs

Certainly, these races are not about the looks of the automobiles,

But it was not so long ago that they were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacPat

I can't seem to understand the design of the current F1 cars. How are the drivers suppose to see past their feet? The foot box looks too high.

The nose is high to allow as much air under the car to the leading edge of the splitter. The front suspensions is also angled to allow free airflow through that area. The drivers legs are somewhat elevated when seated in the car.

Everything about the appearance of the Ferrari F138 screams 'CFD' (computational fluid dynamics), which is how all the aerodynamic surfaces of F1 cars are designed now. CFD incorporates a virtual, in-computer wind-tunnel as part of the program, itself created from empirical data collected from actual wind-tunnel testing and correlated into useful formulae over many years. Different CFD programs produce interestingly different results, and the prototype shapes are verified in full-scale, real-time wind-tunnels. Ferrari was getting inconsistent data from its own wind-tunnel during development of this design, and has shut it down for upgrades. Ferrari development is currently working to get consistant, repeatable test data from testing in a borrowed wind-tunnel facility (Toyota's)

Everything about the appearance of the Ferrari F138 screams 'CFD' (computational fluid dynamics), which is how all the aerodynamic surfaces of F1 cars are designed now. CFD incorporates a virtual, in-computer wind-tunnel as part of the program, itself created from empirical data collected from actual wind-tunnel testing and correlated into useful formulae over many years. Different CFD programs produce interestingly different results, and the prototype shapes are verified in full-scale, real-time wind-tunnels. Ferrari was getting inconsistent data from its own wind-tunnel during development of this design, and has shut it down for upgrades. Ferrari development is currently working to get consistant, repeatable test data from testing in a borrowed wind-tunnel facility (Toyota's)

All the explanation in the world doesn't make it any less ug-lee!

In the world of cars, there is nothing sexier than Formula 1 cars, in my opinion. (Pro Mods would be my runner up.) It doesn't matter what era we're talking about, F1 cars are simply gorgeous. Everything F1 is gorgeous, and thats just one reason it is my favorite sport. As far as this car goes, I guess I'm happy the stepped nose is gone, though it never bothered me as much as others. I dont love the livery. I'd rather see a brighter red and no black or white strip.

Edited by brad4321