Model Cars Magazine Forum

Full Detail 1964 Ford Galaxie (built from promo kit)

Rod

It's a beautiful build. One question - why does it have a scoop and then two cold air feeds from the front of the car? Where does the air from the scoop go?

Sorry that's two questions!

I wish I could build to that standard tho.

O.K., so when you say "full detail build" what you actually mean is "superlative example of the pinnacle of model car craftsmanship". Have I got that about right? No need to answer; the other replies have pretty much put paid to that one.

I can't possibly list all the stunning details that jump out at me here, but that engine, I think, deserves special mention.

Thanks for sharing this.

It's a beautiful build. One question - why does it have a scoop and then two cold air feeds from the front of the car? Where does the air from the scoop go?

Sorry that's two questions!

I wish I could build to that standard tho.

Cold air goes in thru the air feeds from the front of the car and the hot engine air goes out the scoop.

Wow. I built one of the original kits back in late '64 and it didn't turn out anything like that! Seriously, that is one truly nice model- should definitely be a feature in a magazine or two. Set it up outside, take a few pictures and you'll have a lot of people wondering "It's not real?" Very, very nice.

OK, just scanned through all the notes again, and I either missed it or it is not there, but what did you use for the interior side panesl to eliminate the dog legs? I too am doing a build similar, and while I cut up most of the interior to use, I just do NOT like the side panel detail. Is there a resin piece?

OK, just scanned through all the notes again, and I either missed it or it is not there, but what did you use for the interior side panesl to eliminate the dog legs? I too am doing a build similar, and while I cut up most of the interior to use, I just do NOT like the side panel detail. Is there a resin piece?

I made the side panels from layers of sheet styrene . The pleats are half round styrene rods heated to bend over the top edge . The handles were removed from the AMT 1960 Starliner kit.

Cold air goes in thru the air feeds from the front of the car and the hot engine air goes out the scoop.

Thanks - I always thought the air went in the scoop like the TransAm shaker scoop or some tunnel ram scoops - even though they face backwards, they pick up the slow moving high pressure air between the scoop and the windscreen. :