Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Chrysler New Yorker

StevenGuthmiller

Magnificent work as usual, Steve! The colors look better in daylight even if the weather didn't quite cooperate

Still picking away at my Windsor. The Eduard photoetch "2x4" mesh worked perfectly for the grille after I hollowed out the surround; now I'm deepening the interior and adding bucket seats. So it goes...

The Revell kit was a Newport - not as crisply detailed as the Jo-Han kit, but buildable. The big difference is that it has correctly shaped wheel covers. Been hunting for a set of those for a long time; or even a single one off a gluebomb I could use for casting.

attachicon.gif300revell.jpg

I thought it may have been a Newport. Sorry I can't help with the wheel covers Chris. :( You could always use a set of Modelhaus wire wheels. These old Mopars always looked great with wires. I've used them on several builds. Very nice!! Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Why don't we see you at the NNL North? Maybe you've been and we haven't run across each other..I'am with the other guys from Winnipeg with the black Winnipeg Model Car Club shirts..Enough about that..Very nicely done model of a rare kit...Very clean and bring back many memories...

Finished last night & photographed this morning! Please disregard the rain drops! :) The weather isn't exactly conducive to taking pictures in Minnesota this morning. Anyway, this is an original Johan 1960 Chrysler New Yorker annual kit that I got as a built up & has been completely restored. The colors are factory correct "Iris" with a "Lilac" top & a 2-tone metallic purple interior. After market touches include, scratch built mirrors inside & out, along with a scratch built antenna & another of those wonderful Mopar "transparent" steering wheels. Other than that, a set of Modelhaus wide whites & Chrysler wire wheels finishes off the package. Comments or criticisms are always welcome guys! Steve

The JoHan kits of those days were VERY good for body detail and accuracy..That can't be said for the chassis or interiors, but the dash boards/steering wheels were very well done..Wish someone would re-release them....If they could be found..The body detail and engraving was the best and is better than most today..Only my opinion but I think most people will agree...

The JoHan kits of those days were VERY good for body detail and accuracy..That can't be said for the chassis or interiors, but the dash boards/steering wheels were very well done..Wish someone would re-release them....If they could be found..The body detail and engraving was the best and is better than most today..Only my opinion but I think most people will agree...

Thanks Wayne! I love these old Johan kits & you're right, the molding was so crisp & clean! Never have problems with burying anything under layers of paint like other kits from the era. Never been to "NNL North" I just have never really been into the shows & contests. Not much of that sort of thing going on locally & I've never had the desire to drive 100 miles or more to do one. Maybe someday! :) Steve

And yet another work of art, Steve! I do not look at every thread on the site but when I see certain names attached to a post or a thread, I always try to take note and see the possibilities that even old issue kits have. You seem to have a way of bringing out the best features in your work and I'd dearly like one day to see your total collection. Especially appreciated are the rescued stray puppies that you breathe new life into as I have a real soft spot for forgotten, discarded things that most would never give a second look. I learned that from my wife 'cause that kinda describes her letting me be a part of her life. :D:D Seriously, I want to reiterate that you do excellent work and I always enjoy what you post. I look forward to your next build.

Thanks Gary! you always have a way of getting me excited about the next project & I greatly appreciate it! That's one thing that I've found to be very helpful about these forums. For people like me who tend to procrastinate a bit, a few good comments can make a huge difference when it comes to getting motivated to move on to the next project. You've been instrumental to me in that regard Gary, as well as others on this forum. Thank you to you all!! Steve

Your builds are always spectacular and this is no exception. Flawless paint job and great color choice that is a bit different from what you see the most. You sure know how to turn those Promo-style interior tubs into good looking parts.

Its held in Bloominton Mn. We drive from Winnipeg for it a day in advance..Meet with some of the guys at Joe Sensers for dinner and stay for the show and go home the day after..(about 450 miles, 7-8 hours) It does help me though as my daughter lives in Shakopee Mn..Save two nights hotel room....

Thanks Wayne! I love these old Johan kits & you're right, the molding was so crisp & clean! Never have problems with burying anything under layers of paint like other kits from the era. Never been to "NNL North" I just have never really been into the shows & contests. Not much of that sort of thing going on locally & I've never had the desire to drive 100 miles or more to do one. Maybe someday! :) Steve