Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's hear/see your Craft Store findings for our models!

Been using the eyelets for fuel injection for about 6 years. Look for 'Crimp Beads' ; available in many sizes and look like braided line fixtures; braided elastic cord for braided line, colored with a permanent marker. Aluminium I.D. tags, made from soft aluminium, for brackets, clamps, etc.Little magnets for doors and hoods,flat head straight pins for raido and heater knobs, or polished for door knobs. screw together bracelet clasps for fuel injection air cleaners;malleable extruded aluminium screen for grilles; bag of small rubber hair bands for fan belts (250, about a buck)...buy a bag of blue sequins, the little blue'punch outs' in bottom of bag make perfect blue dots....Iron on sequins in red, chrome, or yellow make tail lights, parking lights, headlight reflectors, and come in several sizes, one of which exactly duplicates the chrome cone in the middle of speakers...Ribbon for mexican blankets, thin ribbon for seat belts.. Embossing powder for carpet. Rub on letter transfers. Gel pens for white lettered tires, and white walls .Fine line drafting pens Floral wire. Multi faceted crystals for tail lights, look for the CHEAPEST, because their 'facets are less sharp, look much more like bullet taillights....Plastic/acrylic'water droplets, for headlight lens..... Rubber bracelet cord that looks EXACTLY like radiator hose and is hollow, so you can 'pin' each end, or run wire through it and bend to shape........'Z'

I found a beading wire called "Tiger Tail". It's a fine braided wire with a clear plastic coating. I like it for fuel lines and such.

G

There's not too much call for them, but it also makes nice curb feelers:

DSCN6381_edited-vi.jpg

3/16" eyelets make decent carb stacks for hot rods:

DSCN1048-vi.jpg

I have a couple more, but Fotki is giving me fits right now....

I found these at Spotlight, not sure if you have Spotlight in the US, but I guess some other craft store would have these- hex beads. Only cost a couple of dollars, a there's a fair few in there.

Is there a description or part number on that bag, Zac?

Soft aluminum 'armature wire,' which is intended for sculpting, makes for nice exhaust tubing; it's lighter than solder, bends by hand, and polishes up with little or no effort. It's available in several sizes:

DSCN0651-vi.jpg

da_bucket-vi.jpg

In the bead aisle, these 'bead cones' spoke to me:

DSCN3110_edited-vi.jpg

Once I got them home, I turned at least one and some armature wire into a VW 'stinger' header assembly in short order

DSCN3122_edited-vi.jpg

Don't have pics (unless you look at some of my under glass builds) but I use several sizes of Beadalon bead crimps as fittings for fuel lines, throttle linkage spacers, radiator hose fittings, etc. They come in sizes 1 thru 4 and are at Michaels in the bead section.

Stampendous Embossing Powder for Carpet and Cloth surfaces.

GEDC1675.jpg

Found it at Michaels for If I remember $5 a jar, I've had this jar for 3 or so years and I've only gone through maybe 1/4 of the jar, and I do quite a few Black and white interiors.

Nick

Nick,

Could you do a tutorial on the embossing powder? I know that many of us would REALLY appreciate it! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE?????

^^ I second that, the embossing powder looks more to scale than most flocking jobs I've seen.

Is there a description or part number on that bag, Zac?

Maria George Embellishments, DBC 21 Delica 11/0 3gm, hope that helps some Jim :)

Edited by mopar68

Maria George Embellishments, DBC 21 Delica 11/0 3gm, hope that helps some Jim :)

So after a little research, Maria George is obviously the brand, DBC 21 is the product code, Delica (cut) is the stlye, and 11/0 is the size. 3 grams worth :D

I'll confess now and admit that they are not hex beads, but in fact each bead has seven sides. Still, at that size (approx 1.5mm) they look pretty convincing IMO.

the embossing powder looks more to scale than most flocking jobs I've seen.

That was my exact thought, too.

Nick could you please post a pic of the container? Is this it?:

il_fullxfull.194737952.jpg

One other craft store item which comes in handy are googly eyes, especially the variety packs which contain multiple sizes. The clear shells can be used as headlight lenses on smaller scale (1/32 for example) builds, and the shells can be used as masks for painting. The pupils can be used for just about anything where you need a flat, near-perfect circle or disc.

Edited by Casey