Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scraps and Spares

So, I sit here lookin at the several random bits in my boxes, and my collection of interesting things I've made in between kits using old sprues, model bits, and some imagination... and I start wondering.

How many of you use your scraps in little "fidgety" projects that you just come up with out of the blue... no planning, no direction until you've gone halfway through the project, just putting solvent to plastic and seeing where it goes from there?

I do it all the time, in fact a good bit of my fine detail pieces I use in the builds I do use the techniques and ideas I come up with during "fidgeting" time.

I'll post some examples in photo form later on when I take my photos this weekend so you can see what I come up with, but please do share your stuff with us in the mean time!

I do, Rob. I build little projects from scrap (also if you remove the "s" in scrap, it's more like it!).

Here's an example of a build I did a few years ago which took me a long time to round up all the little details, including a couple of scratch-built vintage radios I made from styrene, mesh, and watch parts.

You can see the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rij3-xTzG2M.

I do it too... Start to play around with parts, and BOOOM, got the idea, start to build it...

Like this "Fortish Wagon" that I build alost two year ago. I was looking trough the spare parts, and I found a Bburago '62 Ferrari Testarossa body, and a Revell (I think) '39 Wagon Rod body, I was thinking to trash both of them, but... After start to play with them, I mean play like a 1 or 2 year old kid that put together pieces without sense. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like it, and I start to build it. :)

Part of the interior is scratch built, the side of the body too... The engine i don't know from which kit or car it came from, the wheels also are scratch built... :)

After I add a Christmas tree because I finish it close to Christmas... :) The tree is removable. And the hood open.

17875194.jpg

Another awesome example! I'll have to say that I didn't expect such interesting and entertaining projects!

Keep it going guys, I can see this turning into a very interesting thread. I'll be posting a few knick-knacks I've created in a little while (I need to go eat some lunch first :P )

Brizio, I love that vehicle. Is there a place I can check out more pictures of it?

I cannot find any post except the one where I put on trade the Wagon Rod, but I can open a new post with all the pics I have.

Brizio, that car is AWESOME! I LOVE it!!

Thank you!

So I promised some photos of some things I've made from scraps, just fidgeting around-

Here's my 'C70A Flame Rifle', made from several different scraps from my leftovers box- (the strap is actually Viva brand paper towel cut into a strip and soaked in black wash... Viva is awesome for making scale tarpaulin, straps, seatbelts :D)

2012041517_12_15-vi.jpg

2012041517_11_58-vi.jpg

Let's let Sakura from Street Fighter Alpha model it for us!

2012041517_14_18-vi.jpg

2012041517_16_40-vi.jpg

GIMP2.6 Fun! (or, poor man's photoshop!)

SakuraFlamethrower-vi.jpg

More stuff to come later.