Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Monogram Blue Bandito '29 Ford Street Rod

Austin T

One thing I noticed is that there is a rear axle molded in white and blue. Could we see the flip side of one of those axles? Maybe I missed it. But, I didn't see a top half for either one.

Yeah, there are two front axles, two rear axles and two rear springs. Which axles you use seems to be dependent on which wheels you want to use because the original Blue Beetle style wheels have smaller center holes and the 2nd pair of axles have smaller mounting pins to fit them. Also, the front axle for the Blue Beetle wheels has the wheel mounting pins about 1/16" lower on the axle, otherwise the two front axles are identical. So, for a slightly lower stance when built as the Blue Beetle/Bandito, the front axle for the Early Iron style wheels could be used and the holes in the Blue Beetle wheels slightly enlarged to fit.

I didn't study the differences in the rear axles other than the sizes of the wheel mounting pins. I'll have to take a closer look at the springs and how they attach. The top side of the axle has always been molded open and the spring attaches down in the groove. Other Monogram kits of the era are similar.

I was also really happy to see that both the original bucket seats and the long-standing bench seat are both included so that the truck could be built with the bench and those cool buckets reserved for a future hot rod project.

Edited by Dennis Lacy

I keep hearing of two possible builds, a "Truck" and a "Hot Rod". What's the difference ? :huh: They both seem the same to me. ;)

Here's a little history on this kit, The 1964 original Blue Beetle.....

MonogramPC93149BlueBeetle_zps47c72aaa.jp

This kit represented a cool 60's style hot rod roadster pick up with a beach style theme of the time. It had a Cadillac V8 with six two barrel carbs, custom bucket seats, a roll bar, and scuba gear, and a surf board. It also had a bed cover, wide white wall tires, and Racemaster slicks with five spoke rear mags, and reverse chrome steelies on the front.

In 1970, Monogram, and Tom Daniel came up with a change, and this was it.....

P1010001-2.jpg

The BOSS A BONE was a multi use hot rod, it featured a new tunnel ram style intake with dual fours on an "Olds" engine with finned valve covers. Other new items unique to this version are the outside headers w/side pipes that mounted to the running boards, new five spoke mags all around with 70's style rear slicks, and front "push bar" front bumper. The bucket seats, roll bar, scuba gear, and firewall are still there from the Beetle, but gone are the surf board, and bed cover.

Sometime in the mid 70's the '29 RPU was again changed, and added to Monograms "Early Iron" series....

Monogram755529FOrdvg_zps850886da.jpg

In this issue the tunnel ram, and finned valve covers are still there, the wild headers from from the B-A-B are gone, and the Beetle style headers returned. New for this issue are 5 slot wheels, new axles front, and rear with heavier mounting pins. The new rear spring was to set the rear axle lower to go with the Goodyear rally gt tires that were included. The bench seat was new, as were the stake bed wood rails. This is the second version included in the new Blue Bandito kit!!!

In the 80's, Monogram once again changed the '29 RPU.....

images_zps0cda9c7a.jpg

This was a wheel & tire change only version, molded in silver.

In 2014....we get this.....

RMX-4020-2_zps10bd9350.jpg

Kudos to Revell on this transformation!!!

Good overview of the 29 Ford. Wasn't the bench seat just taken from the original stock version of the 29??

I thought that's were it came from and not tooled new. The tool has been through many generations.....a BAB version would be cool someday.....maybe I'll repro it and we'll get that one!!

So, could a person take both of the open top rear axles and make one full rear axle with them? I'm thinking cutting off what isn't needed on one and glue it to the other.

I suppose you could Roger, but when it's all together you can't hardly see it...

P1020002.jpg

So, could a person take both of the open top rear axles and make one full rear axle with them? I'm thinking cutting off what isn't needed on one and glue it to the other.

Lots of work involved. In reality the two in the kit are more than 75% complete. Best thing might be simply fill in the void. ;)

Good overview of the 29 Ford. Wasn't the bench seat just taken from the original stock version of the 29??

I thought that's were it came from and not tooled new. The tool has been through many generations.....a BAB version would be cool someday.....maybe I'll repro it and we'll get that one!!

Was there a stock version, or are you thinking of the Revell release? Two different kits. ;)$_35.JPG

Edited by Greg Myers

Here's a little history on this kit, The 1964 original Blue Beetle.....

MonogramPC93149BlueBeetle_zps47c72aaa.jp

This kit represented a cool 60's style hot rod roadster pick up with a beach style theme of the time. It had a Cadillac V8 with six two barrel carbs, custom bucket seats, a roll bar, and scuba gear, and a surf board. It also had a bed cover, wide white wall tires, and Racemaster slicks with five spoke rear mags, and reverse chrome steelies on the front.

In 1970, Monogram, and Tom Daniel came up with a change, and this was it.....

P1010001-2.jpg

The BOSS A BONE was a multi use hot rod, it featured a new tunnel ram style intake with dual fours on an "Olds" engine with finned valve covers. Other new items unique to this version are the outside headers w/side pipes that mounted to the running boards, new five spoke mags all around with 70's style rear slicks, and front "push bar" front bumper. The bucket seats, roll bar, scuba gear, and firewall are still there from the Beetle, but gone are the surf board, and bed cover.

Sometime in the mid 70's the '29 RPU was again changed, and added to Monograms "Early Iron" series....

Monogram755529FOrdvg_zps850886da.jpg

In this issue the tunnel ram, and finned valve covers are still there, the wild headers from from the B-A-B are gone, and the Beetle style headers returned. New for this issue are 5 slot wheels, new axles front, and rear with heavier mounting pins. The new rear spring was to set the rear axle lower to go with the Goodyear rally gt tires that were included. The bench seat was new, as were the stake bed wood rails. This is the second version included in the new Blue Bandito kit!!!

In the 80's, Monogram once again changed the '29 RPU.....

images_zps0cda9c7a.jpg

This was a wheel & tire change only version, molded in silver.

In 2014....we get this.....

RMX-4020-2_zps10bd9350.jpg

Kudos to Revell on this transformation!!!

They'er all the same kit "Monogram" (1929 Model A hot rod roadster pick up.) with slight variations in engine and tires.There is no Stock or Roadster (other than the roadster pick up) variations. Yeah, "same group". The "Revell" kit, as stated above, is a different kit all together. ^_^ Great review John, none the less. Thanks.

Edited by Greg Myers

I have a 1960's era Monogram kit of a 1930 Ford coupe/roadster. It is a 4 in 1 kit like the box shown. I can't get to my kit right now....but IIRC the small catalog inside had a Pick up in the same style. I could be dreaming.....but sure I have seen it.

monogram-pc64box.JPG

These kits had a stock, custom, race version and with the 30, 34 and 36 kits either coupe or roadster.....making them akinda 6 in 1.

This is the original Pheaton that was reissued a few years ago....much modified from this version.Well

aware the Revell 1/25 scale kits are totally different.

Found the 30 coupe box on the net.....

1930Ford1.jpg

Edited by Dave Van

The Cadillac script valve covers are specific to the Blue Beetle. All the cheap Early Iron black & yellow reissue's after that had finned aluminum style valve covers.

Looks like Altered States makes the Cadillac script valve covers (someone else mentioned, but I couldn't find the post):

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6258&p=45413

Matt T's pic:

DSC01990-vi.jpg

I have a 1960's era Monogram kit of a 1930 Ford coupe/roadster. It is a 4 in 1 kit like the box shown. I can't get to my kit right now....but IIRC the small catalog inside had a Pick up in the same style. I could be dreaming.....but sure I have seen it.

monogram-pc64box.JPG

These kits had a stock, custom, race version and with the 30, 34 and 36 kits either coupe or roadster.....making them akinda 6 in 1.

This is the original Pheaton that was reissued a few years ago....much modified from this version.Well

aware the Revell 1/25 scale kits are totally different.

Found the 30 coupe box on the net.....

1930Ford1.jpg

Nope, Monogram never offered a stock or 4-in-1 version of the '29 Model A pickup. The timeline posted by RatRod is correct, this kit started out as the Blue Beetle.

I got out some old kits, 1930 Coupe and and older version of the Blue Burrito and discovered Ooops one is a '28-'29 and the other '30-'31, the fenders are different. However all of the running gear is the same and interchanges. Basically the stock engine drops right in with a little work on the front cross member to return it to a more stock configuration. :)

Thanks Don.......my day dreaming sometimes causes errors!! More than likely me thinking of combining kits to make what I'd LIKE to see......

Like my fantasy NCIS 30 Ford.......

30ABBEY-vi.jpg

Great build Dave, Wouldn't you like to see more of that on the show? I understand Pauley Perrette (Abbey) is really an anti car person, green to a point.

I have an original in complete original Blue Beetle that was missing the engine, rear, buckets, bed cover and decals. All the parts were loose except for the chrome and the scuba gear and surfboard.

The re issue has the scuba gear and board molded in blue while my original has them molded in an off white cream color. The tooling for the re issue has the top,interior and bench on it along with the scuba gear and board. In the original the top and interior were a bright white. Wondering if they had a separate tool for the scuba/board parts back then?

Also, are there two interior tubs and tops included in the re issue? It looks like there are two sets, one molded in white and the other in blue.

Edited by VW93

• 4 weeks later...

I got one of these yesterday and have already started cleaning it up. I LOVE it man so good to finally have this kit.

I reckon we will see the "Boos A Bone" released in the furture from this kit seeing that Revell\Monogram is releasing all of Tom Daniels stuff again :)...Well I hope so lol

Edited by Hippie Dude