Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alternomad II - Updated 2 - 7 - 13

TooOld

I've had this kit for a while and since it is being reissued I thought I'd take a shot at building it . It's a very basic kit and should be a Skill Level 1 . Very low parts count and most details are molded in .

After looking at the body and photos of the real car I realized it was kind of ugly and needed some help ! So out came the razor saw and the fun began .

Since I can only post photos as a reply they will be here soon .

Edited by TooOld

Okay , the first thing I did was give the longroof a chop and move the entire roof forward about 1/4 inch . This allowed the tailgate to be repositioned so it was angled forward like an original Nomad .

The first photo shows the stock roof line .

I plan on doing a bit more this evening and will post the results tomorrow .

Happy New Year !

Edited by TooOld

I decide the roof should have the side to side grooves in it like the original Nomads . I removed that section of the roof , sanded it smooth , and used a small round file to put the grooves in it . In less than two hours the piece was re - glued in place and it looked pretty decent .

It's hard to see them in the photos .

Edited by TooOld

As the owner of a 95 Impala SS I've never liked this version of the Impala. Still don't,but at least YOUR interpretation looks MUCH better! Funny how much better it can look with a few mods that really don't change it, but DO! Your doin a GREAT job on this! Hopefully this WILL change my feelings of this kit, as I DO have a few of them in my stash!(They have some really nice wheels an tires in this kit!)

On 1/1/2013 at 9:46 AM, Dirkpitt289 said:

WOW, that is an interesting project. Maybe I missed it or I'm still blurry eyed from last night (New Years Eve) but what kit was this originally?

Sorry , I guess I never said . This is it .

Edit - Ignore the " Skill Level 2 " . In my opinion it's a " 1 " !

file-vi.jpg

Edited by TooOld

As the owner of a 95 Impala SS I've never liked this version of the Impala. Still don't,but at least YOUR interpretation looks MUCH better! Funny how much better it can look with a few mods that really don't change it, but DO! Your doin a GREAT job on this! Hopefully this WILL change my feelings of this kit, as I DO have a few of them in my stash!(They have some really nice wheels an tires in this kit!)

I really like The Impala SS too , and when this kit first came out I couldn't believe it was designed by ThomTaylor . . . it was soooo ugly ! I really haven't changed my mind , I just like wagons so I though I'd dig it out of my stash and give it a try .

looks like you are going to make some thing cool out of a not so cool kit, I like it Bob!

Randy used to cast a body for this that had the '57' side chrome and the tail fins removed, with later model 'vette tail lights in a rolled rear pan...was pretty neat !....'Z'

Wow! The light chop really improved the lines on this one. Very nice work! :)

Very nice chop. Subtle but aggressive. Any plans to tuck in the front bumper?

Thanks for the encouragement guys ! And yes , the front bumper is going to get tucked .