Model Cars Magazine Forum

"CRANKENSTIEN"(a small tribute to the "doc") DONE! 11/13/12

bryan_m

finally got the steering linkage finished! i cant attach it until everyhting else is done......

photo1-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

it all works nice n smooth too! im happy with the way it came out, altho this build is getting more complicated that originally intended......

cheers

bryan

thanks guys!

yea somehow they always get more complicated...... oh, and i know that 32`s never had this type of steering, from 29 to 31 had that external linkage on the outside of the body. i just really like the way it looks, so i though "why not"

cheers

bryan

Very cool. Actually the external steering has been used on many '32 rods in real life, so it is totally in place. Looking at the whole character of the model though, I would go for different hood sides. Either from the three window, which has a the stock vented sides or the ones with the three rows of louvers from the roadster.

thanks Mike........ im not even sure if im gonna use the hoodsides yet......of all the 32s i have built ive never put a hood on one of them..... if i do use the sides it will be the vented ones. these smooth ones are from the 5 window kit too.

cheers

bryan

Actually, what you are referring to as external steer didn't come from the Ford factory at all.

It was a racing modification that made it's way to the street.

Not absolutely sure but I believe they made their way to the early Fords by way of the oval

tracks, the center steered dirt modifieds and board track cars. From there to the dry lakes in

the lakes modifieds both center steer and left hand drive position. The hot rodders seized

the idea because it made the steering setups easier when theyswapped out the fourbanger

for the flathead V8's.

If you can get your hands on the book, "The Birth of Hot Rodding - The story of the dry lakes

era" Robert Genat - Motorbooks Classics. This book shows many of the lakes era cars with

the cowl mounted steering. A quick flip through the book didn't show any Deuces with that

type of steering setup. Though if you check out the early Hot Rod and Rod & Custom magazines

you will find that there were more than a few Deuces running cowl steering though it's more

common on the narrowed lakes cars.

Either way you go about it, it's your car do it the way you like best.

Hey Bryan ! This one is coming along real nice. I think I like the way you mounted the headlights. Not sure about the hood side panels, for me I think I would rather see the engine. I hope I can get back to my 48 Ford soon. Been working more than normal because a couple of people decided to quit. I do have a 3 day weekend this week so I should be able to get something done.