Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tractor Trailer Community Build

highway

Matt, if I commit to doing this, it means that I have to finish my Mustang convert for my CBP AND the 1983 Levin for the Japanese car CBP first. I also need to get to work on my KW W900A and trailer.

IF, and that is a BIG IF, I do this........I have some Pete 359s that will collide to form one, and a 48' dropdeck airride that will tage along behind it (I will not mention the tarped load yet).

No problem, Bradley, I have those two builds to finish, too, along with a few others! :lol:

I can't remember how far along you were with the Kenworth, but as long as it's not too close to being finished, you could enter it along with the Petes. :(

I'll add you to the list, just in case, and sorry, but I don't know how I missed this post yesterday. Good thing I was rereading today. ;)

I'll have to dig up the thread on its' ill-fated build (or should I say its ill-started build). I have the engine basically together and the frame stretched/sleeper stretched. No body filler has yet hit any part of this project and the only thing painted is the engine (in base coat of NEW CAT YELLOW). The trailer deck and chassis has been stretched from 40' to 48'.......that is the only thing done with the trailer.

I must warn you now though, I have a Thunderbird TurboCoupe I am also working on that I hope to build to a competitive level for the late 2011/early 2012 season, so it might just take some of my time as well (what is it with me and FOX chassis Fords?).

Thanks Matt.

Edited by whale392

I'll have to dig up the thread on its' ill-fated build (or should I say its ill-started build). I have the engine basically together and the frame stretched/sleeper stretched. No body filler has yet hit any part of this project and the only thing painted is the engine (in base coat of NEW CAT YELLOW). The trailer deck and chassis has been stretched from 40' to 48'.......that is the only thing done with the trailer.

I must warn you now though, I have a Thunderbird TurboCoupe I am also working on that I hope to build to a competitive level for the late 2011/early 2012 season, so it might just take some of my time as well (what is it with me and FOX chassis Fords?).

Thanks Matt.

No problem, Bradley, and it sounds like the Kenworth is not far enough along that it would be a problem. I hope you do decide to join us! :)

I was just a little bored the other night and was checking out YouTube and found this video of one of my most favorite trucking songs. It has some very nice pics in it and might even give you some ideas! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mALtxruPgAU

I also noticed one of the trucks in one of the pictures could possibly be one I used to drive! I want to see if anyone can guess which one, and I'll start with one clue, it's a Freightliner. :lol:

Was it that ugly blue Wienee Wagon? ;)

Get it right, a TWO TONE blue Wienne Wagon! ;):lol:

Boy, first guess gets it! :D Even though I couldn't find the pic used in the video, I did find this one.

werner_enterprises_frtlnr.jpg

I ran the U.S. in a Classic XL just like it for just a little over a year. :lol:

Great to have you, Dan. I just have one question, will the pumper be a load on the lowboy or a separate entry? No problem either way, I'm just trying to mark things as a load if that's what they will be built as. :(

Pumper will be separate. :(

Wait until you see the lowboy's load! Let's just say (for now) that it is non-automotive! :(

ph34r.gifph34r.gif

I'll be getting an early start since I have time off now, and not much after the first.

Lindberg / IMC Dodge L-700

L7001.jpg

L7002.jpg

So far it is proving to be rather fidly as I had been warned, but it is really not that bad as long as I take my time. I've got the cab primered, and have almost finished the engine. I've decided to build it as a stake bed, so I'll be stealing the bed from the Ford C-600 kit.

L7003.jpg

I gotta have cars for the hauler...which is a mutant plan for a diorama depending on how into the idea I get.

Speaking of the car hauler, check out one I just posted in a separate new thread in the Trucks forum.

Friend of mine built a killer rig full of brand new Chevys on their way to a dealership for introduction day ... 1957!

:(

How about this one for inspiration? Some one needs to build this one.

Wished they made a kit for this truck. I'd buy a few.

img_4410.jpg

I agree, I know there has to be somebody with the AMT kit in their stash! I'd like to, but all I have is a regular R model and the Freuhauf tanker, and the Mack ain't gonna have a can on the back, it's already reserved for a lowboy! :lol: Great video, too, the captions had me laughing the entire way through it! :lol:

That is one nice truck, too. I seen a Dodge like that in the video I posted and thought the same thing. There's nothing nicer than an old square hood truck! :(

Pumper will be separate. :(

Wait until you see the lowboy's load! Let's just say (for now) that it is non-automotive! ;)

ph34r.gifph34r.gif

I just wanted to make sure, Dan. :lol:

By the way, you have me VERY curious about the load now! :lol::lol: I can't wait to see it!

I'll be getting an early start since I have time off now, and not much after the first.

No problem, Aaron, and I have you updated in the list. :lol:

I agree, I know there has to be somebody with the AMT kit in their stash! I'd like to, but all I have is a regular R model and the Freuhauf tanker, and the Mack ain't gonna have a can on the back, it's already reserved for a lowboy! :lol: Great video, too, the captions had me laughing the entire way through it! :lol:

That is one nice truck, too. I seen a Dodge like that in the video I posted and thought the same thing. There's nothing nicer than an old square hood truck! :(

Yeah, I found that video by accident. Comments made me laugh too.

The Dodge belongs to David Denny. He owns Denny Trucking. From what I saw at his shop looks like a bunch of dump trucks, but he may have others too. He not only owns that Plumb Crazy Purple truck, but he has a shop behind his shop at his house. You could eat off the floor in both of them. The second shop is full of Mopar's. He has several M-22 I think is the number for the military 4x4 Dodge trucks and he has some civilian versions called Power Wagons too. He also has several Hemi 'Cudas and Challengers too. Wished I had pics of them. I have some other pics of that Dodge too if you want to see them. That was the first one I could find in a hurry to post.

David's a member of my car club at www.musiccitymoparclub.com There's inspiration for builds on that site too. We keep pics from our Sept. car shows on there if you want to go check them out. We get about 150 to 200 cars a year. Even had Alan Jackson's blue Superbird two years in a row some time ago.

Just got my camera out of hte car. I'll get some pics of my kits to post up shortly.

Sure thing, Chris, I will get a pic later today for you. :lol:

I'd like to see that, too. I have one of these ... and a project/plan for it ... that's close to hitting the bench.

Always appreciate the heads-up and the tip! Thanks!!

:(

Thanks for reminding me, Dan! My C.R.S. (we all know what that stands for! :lol: ) kicked in again and I totally forgot, sorry Chris!

Anyway, since Dan reminded me, I have the pics for now both of you, and anyone else for that matter! :lol:

The little "square" I mentioned where you start the thin super glue.

HPIM2854.jpg

After you put a couple drops of thin super glue in that area, hold the trailer at about a 45 degree angle like this,

HPIM2857.jpg

and that will allow the super glue to run down the joint where the roof and walls meet.

HPIM2855.jpg

If you use a little too much, like I did, don't worry, it will just run down the front bulkhead like this.

HPIM2856.jpg

The flash on the camera makes it look bad, but without the extra light, it is barely noticable, it get quite dark in there! :lol:

EDIT: By the way, these are the mini clamps I used on mine, and you can get a small bucket of 20 or 25 for about $5 at Big Lots just in case you don't have any or not enough.

HPIM2858.jpg

This is a better close up pic of how you can hold the roof in place while you are gluing it down, just fold the little pads out on the clamp and put one in the first cutout in the top of the wall and the other on the lip of the botom of the roof. The pic I posted earlier I had them on the molded in rivets on the top if the roof, but if you look real close, you can see a few slipped into this position. I also did this before gluing, that way the roof is in line with the top of the wall and you get the channel for the super glue to run down in.

HPIM2859.jpg

Edited by highway

OK, here's my kits.

03510.jpg

I don't have the Reo yet, but it should be in the mail. I know the AMT KW is the wrong one for the MO truck, but I got help on that ( thanks to the ones that helped, you know who you are) and I'll be getting all the correct parts and stuff I need to make it correct for the TV show truck.

Edited by dwc43

OK, here's my kits.

I don't have the Reo yet, but it should be in the mail. I know the AMT KW is the wrong one for the MO truck, but I got help on that ( thanks to the ones that helped, you know who you are) and I'll be getting all the correct parts and stuff I need to make it correct for the TV show truck.

OK, DW, I have you updated.

By the way, it depends on which Movin On truck you are going for, an early or late one. I think I've read that suspensions and such are incorrect, too, but as for the small sleeper, the AMT kit would make the early first and, I think, second season truck.

127.jpg

The larger bunk truck wasn't until about season 3 or 4, if I remember what I've read correctly.

248-972.jpg

Anyone got a truck and car hauler trailer they want to get rid of/trade? Mine is too far along to enter in this build according to the rules. Unless highway makes an exception to the rules

I already said you were OK Clay!! :lol::P

OK, DW, I have you updated.

By the way, it depends on which Movin On truck you are going for, an early or late one. I think I've read that suspensions and such are incorrect, too, but as for the small sleeper, the AMT kit would make the early first and, I think, second season truck.

127.jpg

The larger bunk truck wasn't until about season 3 or 4, if I remember what I've read correctly.

248-972.jpg

The one in the kit is all wrong even for the small sleeper. IT has dual ex. and it has cut outs in the body for dual air cleaners and you can see from your pics that the small sleeper version has singles for both. I think J Bots decals are for the large sleeper only, so I am going to try and do that version. If I can do something about the hood where the air cleaner cut outs are and I can mod the J Bot decals, I may try and make both versions.