Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

I'm working on my Ferrari but it's all tiny bits on the engine and that needs to be presented in one piece with story ...

There's been a lot of good looking work going on here ... glad to see everyone getting on it early ... enjoying it all while my engine is getting rebuilt ... but Ferrari refused to bore and stroke it for more horsepower so had to go to another ...

Some work on the Pacer.

Roll bars. I finally am happy with a design. Rather than make it just a standard roll bar, I decided to incorporate it into the upholstery like the modern Mustangs do. It will become a six point cage. It's pretty tight to the roof and I think once the rear glass is tinted it will be pretty tough to notice. I'm still working on what to do with that back seat because there WILL be a cross bar, that will be cutting right over the knees of anyone sitting back there. Not very functional. Maybe make the back seat folded forward?

20150326_125014_zpsnl9jctzo.jpg

20150326_124902_zpsezsn00rm.jpg

20150326_124843_zpsm1uarjnz.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Ricardo sent the engine to Ferrari to be rebuilt and he wanted a Hot Rod bore and stroke. Ferrari replied that they didn't know what 'Hot Rod' meant and they don't change engine specifications. So he had the engine shipped to his friend Luigi Marioski who was fired from Ferrari after getting caught selling Ferrari Badges on ebay. He told Luigi to get him 100 more horsepower from the engine no matter what the cost or modification, as long as the modifications didn't show externally. We won't go into WHAT Luigi did.

The engine is coming together slowly as it gets painted. The distributors have three .04 square strips added to the top for the coil and 2 ignition wires with the other four drilled below. The will pass through the black tube on the valve cover to the plugs between the header pipes. I'm going to use yellow wires .. something else Ferrari refused to do.

distributors%20DSC_1540_zpsmj91b66y.jpg

Edited by Foxer

Okay, sticking with my drift car theme. Here's the e-brake. Handle was made from a shock absorber. The connecting pneumatic piston from some random suspension part. Mount was scratch built. The reservoir and associated brake lines will be mounted in the arm rest, (stock piece) to keep with the sleeper theme. The back seat is capable of being installed in the folded down position, so the roll bar, cross bar will not look so out of place. Now I need to find a NOS tank. :)

20150327_121438_zpsxero2iaz.jpg

20150327_122538_zps5xc97ol8.jpg

Well now that life has calmed down enough for me to get back to the work bench I have made a little progress. First I have stripped the chrome started with this

4953027F-5954-4006-BC91-091FEB730314_zps

and after six hours in easy off spray ended with this

CFDC0592-5534-4DB4-A305-A15F77473682_zps

So now my next road block is going to be the exhaust headers. in my head I want some vary nice chrome plated nice flowing ones but as the pictures show that is not going to happen.

62932C1A-91A1-4CA7-A6FE-8BB6395B2995_zps

BCE16D3B-1AA2-4142-A2C7-853E2C1EAD66_zps

B26C8020-4036-4B14-A9B1-2B3E6244E36E_zps

so its back to the drawing board to see just what I can try to figure out to make this work.

What a rats nest of wires! I had one yellow wire and have a half inch left over after these .. whew! The ones out of the distributor all go into the end of the tube on the valve cover. The plug wires go into holes spaced along the side of the tube. I'm glad now I went with the yellow wires.

plug%20wires%201%20DSC_1544_zpstpdjtyp4.

plug%20wires%201%20DSC_1547_zpscvmhy9mm.

Lots of nice work here, but I'm not sure some of you understand what a Sleeper is. :lol:

Yeah. I was thinking the same about some of the builds I've seen here..Great work, but kinda' falls outside of a sleeper for a cross country race like a cannonball. some almost resemble drag strip sleepers instead. Just my two cents but I could be wrong as I'm still trying to figure out how to do my entry to fit the guide lines..So no progress as I haven't done anything with it yet...The main important thing is perhaps something that will not attract the attention of the various law enforcement authorities rather than something that looks like it was built to outrun them in a pursuit which is unrealistic. An old car does stick out on an interstate. It would be helpful to maybe have an idea of what year or era this event is set in given the type of models that are avaliable. Most of the kit subjects offered are typically from 25- 30 years on back..If this was being held today in real life, I'd be more prone to choose a late model painted in the same colors as any everyday vehicle on the road to blend in as any bright color will stand out in a automotive sea of everyday white, black, silver , grey or tan gold. Even though my entry is a 76 Caprice, I still believe it would stick out in a real life race of this sort and I am seriously considering changing my entry.

Edited by Rotorbolt73

... Even though my entry is a 76 Caprice, I still believe it would stick out in a real life race of this sort and I am seriously considering changing my entry.

Not in, say, 1977. My understanding is there is no event date, so your sleeper can apply to whatever year you want it to be. It would be logical that your era (or later) will be defined by the newest piece of technology you're carrying. Tim or Jant?

Not in, say, 1977. My understanding is there is no event date, so your sleeper can apply to whatever year you want it to be. It would be logical that your era (or later) will be defined by the newest piece of technology you're carrying. Tim or Jant?

I'd agree with that. Lets face it, if the Cannonball was being run today, all the racers would be the most boring, unassuming cars you could imagine. As modelers we're allowed the freedom of our imagination and given a little "creative license" when it comes to picking our racer.

Matt, I would not change your entry. Like my Pacer, your Caprice would stick out on the modern highway, but no one would imagine they were capable of 140 mph. The same goes for most of the racers.

The rules we're using this year are as follows. If we try to over-think this too much, we'll suck the fun right out of it.

1. Take a car that is not normally considered fast. Make it fast without altering its appearance that might let on that it's fast.

2. If the car IS normally thought of as fast, it should be in such poor condition/appearance, that no one would give it a second glance.

That's my $.02.

Dude! That would be enough to make me walk away. My least favorite part of modeling. And you're only half done, those ends go somewhere(?)

hahah .. I can't blame you ... at least this spider didn't walk away overnight and I tackled the plug wires into the tube today. It went better than I expected .. just clipped an end close and pushed into the drilled hole. I didn't even glue it ... it's so short the wire will stay in place on it's own. I ran into a small paint touch up area so had to stop, but amazingly I'm still sane!

Edited by Foxer

Even though my entry is a 76 Caprice, I still believe it would stick out in a real life race of this sort

It wouldn't get a second glace from the dullards who make up the general public. I was talking with a police officer who was also a car guy and modeler.. us car guys spot a Crown Vic a mile away, but he told me the stupid stuff people do right next to a marked police cruiser. Don't give the public too much credit... remember when you talk average intelligence, half the folks are dumber than that! :lol:

well my kit arrived today so i'll throw my hat in now and officially enter. powerplant is as yet undecided but i'm leaning towards really big. B)

CIMG5890_zpsxxbxwtdl.jpg

Are you gonna go for a hopped up UPS delivery, brown and all.

My build is at a bit of a motivational stall. I have too many builds going on, and my entry is a big undertaking for me. I need to be in the right frame of mind till it gets to a smoother, closer to ordinary build.

Edited by Petetrucker07