Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1971 Duster on the bench

gtx6970

I stumbed onto this one day last week in my stash while looking for something else , and completely forgot I even had it . I bought this a LOOOOOONG time ago ( mid -late 80s) from a friend of mine. It came to me with the body , hood and chassis already painted, it doesn't look to bad so that part will stay as is.

It's an original issue MPC 1971 Duster annual builtup. I dug it out and decided it has sat long enough. So I got to working on it over the weekend .

Did the bare metal foil trim on the body and and I'll leave the body exactly the way I bought it many years ago. I painted the interior in a dulled white with just a few details picked out with detail paint. Decals are from the current AMT duster kit.

Still undecided if I'l use the grossly undersized MPC engine or use the engine/trans from the current AMT version,,,,,,,. :unsure:

Either way it WILL be done by the weekend .

MPC-71DusterA.JPG

Mpc-71DusterB.JPG

MPC-71DusterC.JPG

MPC-71DusterD.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

looks great

i too love these cars

if i could read between the lines...do you have a AMT rolling chassis coming up for trades?

i'd be interested in it ;)

Sorry, but no. The only thing I am using out of the AMT kit is the engine/trans the decals and the 2 ft seats.

The chassis pictured and I have for this one is the original plain old MPC version and I want to use it .

The remainder of the AMT kit will be used to build a Sox and Martin Duster sometime in the near future.

Very cool looking, the paint looks great. The white seats and door cards with the rest black look great

Thanks ,,,, considering the body was painted in the late 80's and stuffed in a box ever since,,, it's held up well . Even though it's not real super shiny but it wasn't bad enough I felt the need to strip it and repaint it. I think it's just testors orange enamel . Interior was just painted last week, and I decided after looking at the AMT box art this color exterior would be so much brighter with a white interior.

It was missing the tail lights lens so I ordered a set from Missing link last night. And If all goes well , it will be done by Christmas,,,,, as kind of a gift to myself !

Edited by gtx6970