Model Cars Magazine Forum

problem with alclad chrome

hi

over the weekend i shot some parts with alclad black base, 2 coats looked great.

next day i shot the alclad chrome,went on great and looked great.

2days later went to glue the parts on the paint was soft and gooey .The base never got hard

any suggestion.Is the base to old?

thanks Randy Ludi

you "shot it" instead of sprayed it

Semantics. <_< I personally have not used the Alclad base black. I have used Testors classic black, Krylon gloss black, Odd's'n'Ends gloss black and a host of others. All enamels. I "shoot" two mist coats waiting two or three minutes between then one good even wet coat. Come back in less than five and spray the Alclad over the still tacky enamel. Done. The paint becomes rock hard and it's never been an issue.

This is puzzling. I've always preferred the Alclad base and have never had a problem with it not drying. I have found that Tamiya TS-14 works really well as a base coat for Alclad chrome and polished aluminum, if that is a possible alternative for you.

i used no primer, these were small parts that i polished smooth

i have used other base coats with out problem but i had the alclad black

and thought i would try it.It went on super smooth.

thanks for the help

Randy Ludi

Wow. This one's got me beat. I suggest contacting Alclad and telling them the whole process start to finish. I can't remember the guy's name but a few months back I contacted them about some chrome that had gelled. They could not figure out what happened so they just sent me a whole new bottle. It doesn't replace the kit, but luckily you can strip it and start over. As I recall it took two days to get my replacement. If he does come up with a reason for you i'd like to hear what it was 'cause this one has me scratching my head.