Model Cars Magazine Forum

ODD RESINS

finally casted the 70 1/2 B/M Camaro tires, i used the tip someone gave me on there to making a seamless tire. i forgot your name but thank you it made a world of difference. forgot the where the wheel came from but it was lying around half molded i think it was a beemer wheel

Jw5Vg.jpg

ELCOg.jpg

awkQP.jpg

rYtAQ.jpg

00klp.jpg

VBUw7.jpg

qbuJF.jpg

Edited by Lownslow

What company is that? Can you post a link? I'm looking for some other brand of rubber resin to try.

http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/

I bought some concrete mold making and stamping rubber from the link above but waited till it's experation date before I ever got around to using it. I buy my silicone in a 44 pound kit from them.

Edited by Greg Wann

Frank, those look great! Nice job as usual. FYI I've used the Alumilite 'flex' series of varying duro and while they work well they seem to be hit or miss for me. Biggest issue so far is shrinkage of the replicated tires over time. Not sure why this happens as the tires are the same size as the masters for at least a month or two but I have some that have been sitting for up to a year and they are 40% (no joke) smaller than the master now. I'm glad I never put them on a model lol. I had great luck with BJB F70 which is also as thin as what Ryan is talking about with viscosity of 620 and zero shrinkage.

Edited by shucky

Greg, Try polytek PT Flex 50, I use it for all my tires. its a casting rubber rather than a molding rubber so the viscosity is about 600! which for a rubber that is thin. I can pour tires and demold them in 45 minutes.

Thank you, Ryan. I really appreciate the information.

http://www.polytek.com/

WOW! The stuff is expensive! Looks like it needs a dye too. What do you use for a dye? What is your mix for the added dye?

Edited by Greg Wann

It is pricey...but the way I see it, I spend the money and buy the 16lb kit (im on my 3rd one) a typical tire weighs about .20 ounces, so I can get 5 tires to 1 ounce. Also if you dont want to order from them directly (they are in Pennsylvania) get it from "brickintheyard mold supply they are in texas.

I used there dye..but I used smooth-ons and saw no difference, but thats only my experience.

To be honest I dont have a ratio, lol...I just squeeze it into the 1 gallon jug, get a real good mix and test its clarity, if it still looks clear green i will add more dye till its not as translucent.

Frank, IIRC, the tire you're casting was only available in that size from AMT & generally intended for the rear axle. Have you considered cutting a few sections out of the middle of that tire, popping it back together and making a slightly skinnier tire we can run up front?

shoot me your info and i mail one out your way

I've seen the techniqe demonstrated in a magazine, but I haven't done it myself. I was asking the question in case one of our more experienced modelers wanted to collaborate with you on this.

Any of you have extensive experience in tire surgery? If you have the ability to take a few sections out of the M/T tire & put it back together seamlessly, Frank might be able to cast 'em up so we can have matching M/T tires on our car.

Have you considered cutting a few sections out of the middle of that tire, popping it back together and making a slightly skinnier tire we can run up front?

i have those tires definetltly not the same

Someone asked if there could be a narrower version of the M/T tires from the AMT B-M '70. Camaro kit which you are reproducing, and the MRC set provides both wider and narrower tires. They have a very nice square shouolder, too, which is very true to the shape of the real bias-ply tires, whereas the AMT tires seem to have lost that detail.

Someone asked if there could be a narrower version of the M/T tires from the AMT B-M '70. Camaro kit which you are reproducing, and the MRC set provides both wider and narrower tires. They have a very nice square shouolder, too, which is very true to the shape of the real bias-ply tires, whereas the AMT tires seem to have lost that detail.

Casey, compare your MRC M/Ts to the real ones and you'll see why they're not the best choice. The various words on the MRC sidewall are placed so haphazardly, it almost looks random. That might be OK if you don't paint the letters, but most guys who ran performance tires wanted the white letters showing.