Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 iHobby show - Round2 2013 Announcements

Tom Kren

Wow! A flashback to when I was 8 or 9! LOL A neighbor down the side street from us that that Fury in the second picture. That exact car!!!

I was going to do mine red and white but now .......... B)

The C600 has been discussed over on Spotlight. It's been determined that the picture on the box is actually a 1/34 scale 1rst Gear diecast.

But... why? What would be the motivation to put out a model kit box of a 1/34 diecast? To what purpose?

So what is actually in the box? 1/43, 1/25, whats on the box, or the same c-600 we already have?

Nothing at this point. They don't have a test shot ready to display, so they dressed up an existing model (1/43 scale First Gear in this case), airbrushed the image a bit, and used the box to display/show what the box art (and built model) will look like.

Maybe Round2 will put out some info regarding the kit(s) soon, as their website is not even close to current.

According to what's been found out, it will be the same C600 kit as the stake bed truck, just with a box instead of the stake. No one seems to be sure why they chose the diecast for the box art.

And a new, earlier cab, as shown?

Nothing at this point. They don't have a test shot ready to display, so they dressed up an existing model (1/43 scale First Gear in this case), airbrushed the image a bit, and used the box to display/show what the box art (and built model) will look like.

Which is a very stupid thing to do, considering they used a model that looks nothing like the AMT C600 kit. Makes them look like amateurs.

But... why? What would be the motivation to put out a model kit box of a 1/34 diecast? To what purpose?

Incompetence.

Edited by Rob Hall

Longbed is correct, it's a 1953 Ford COE from First Gear. I'm pretty sure that photo is one from the original sales fliers used to promote the truck when it came out. I probable have it here packed away someplace.

I don't think there is anything wrong using another model or a real truck to mock up a box for a future release as this was. BUT, if it's going to be the 60,s truck, like the stake pictured next to it..... that is just a total lack of respect for the model truck builders. :blink:

I'm hoping for the new kit, how could anyone go the that much work when the old box truck art work so readily available.

The stake truck is not even easily converted into the 53 truck shown. The front axle needs to be moved forward, the wheels are wrong, the chassis is most likely too long, the fuel tanks are wrong, among other things. It would be so much work they might as well just start fresh, especially since they will lose the ability to ever reissue the cab over C-600 like the W900A to T600A debacle.

Edited by Fat Brian

How many big trucks have been produced from the 50's ?

Just maybe they are going to do a 50 something Ford with a box that was used in the fifties .

The box art is strange but it all has to start from someplace.

Maybe Round 2 is jumping on the 50s bandwagon that Moebius and Revell have been playing up...but it is odd that if they are spending the money for all new tooling that they aren't promoting it better... I'm skeptical.

I was also at I hobby. The problem today with all shows is the cost to do them. Manufactuers of models and accesories can't justify the costs any more of doing these shows as they can release the info on the internet and many more people can see and hear about new products at little to no cost to them.

Was really disappointed by the lack of support from the aftermarket companies

If Revell, owned by a major hobby distributor, and Testors corp both bail from the show as not cost affective......how can a aftermarket company afford to go???

Not sure if the same holds true at Cleveland but at Rosemont Chicago due to union rules you had to PAY to set up your booth, run extension cords or even move chairs on top of the cost of the booth, food, lodging, parking and other costs before anyone walks in the door. You can do the same today for free via the net.

Should not be a surprise to anyone.

As Tom stated , we attended the show as vendors . On the ride home , we totaled up the expenses and came up with a total of about $1000.00 . Did we even break even ? Nope !

With that being said , was it worth it ? The answer would have to be , yes , it was . It's a chance to show case the DVDs to the hobby suppliers and the general public . Even more important , an opportunity to engage former modelers and future modelers in conversation

about the hobby . We certainly opened some eyes as what we and the hobby have to offer , I can tell you that much !

My question is this ..... Where were the rest of you ? The model car vendors , you could have made a fortune ! Same can be said for the aftermarket dealers , photoetch , decals , resin , etc . Why was it left to us to answer a million and one questions about your products that I use on my builds . Why weren't you there to show case your products and raise the hobby and general public's awareness .

And don't think I'm going to let the rest of you off the hook either ! If you want change in the hobby , you have to show up and make yourself heard in person , it's much more effective ! When I was at the Pegasus booth pleading my case for them to produce Cragar 5 spoke mag sets , sure would have been nice to have had a few of my brethren standing there with me !

I planted a few seeds with some of the manufacturers , hopefully they take root , we'll have to see . Would have liked to have seen alot more entries in the model car contest too ! Just another way to show off our talents , raise interest in the hobby , both to the general public and the hobby manufacturers alike .

We had fun , saw a lot of cool stuff in other hobby aspects , made some new friends , and hopefully some new contacts for the business . Sure wish I'd have seen more of you there too ! But don't worry , The Old Man had you covered .

Guilty as charged! I stayed home and didn't bring my models up there to the show because I thought the cost was too much after the report that the show sucked. I guess I should have manned up and gone to show my support for the hobby. I'm now afraid this show will not return to Ohio. I guess I was part of the problem rather than the solution.