Model Cars Magazine Forum

What, If Any, Model Kit Box Art Takes You Back?

One of the first "Hot Rod" models I bought and built. Back in the day. :Ppc57.jpg

Greg, this one is before my time, but I can see why you dig it. I love the teenager admiring it on the box.

And someone had to paint that, too. Imagine seeing all the original art for it.

This one takes me waaay back. It's just too bad the kit looks nothing like the box art. Of course, when I was seven or eight years old, I didn't know or care. I still have most of my original build to restore someday.

019-1.jpg

I did a "Box Top" build post based on this great build but someone :angry: MOVED it to the "underglass" place.

MPC annual kits from 1973-1980 (especially the 1978 Chevy Pickup annual !)

Monogram 1/32 scale Funny Car snap-together series ; Tom Daniel kits from the 70's ; and , definitely the early 80's Muscle Car series ( SS-454 Chevelle , 1970 Boss 429 Mustang Sportroof , 1970 GTX , 1971 Hemi 'Cuda , 1969 GTO 'Judge' , and 1970 Challenger Trans Am) .

Revell kits were cool , but were nearly impossible to build (at the time) !

Jo-Han kits weren't really stocked in any of the stores I frequented , until the 80's ( "USA Oldies" , by then).

I did , however , manage to get my hands on the 1970 4-4-2 , the 1968 Fury I Police Car , and the 'Heavenly Hearse' .

AMT kits were readily available at FedCo and at the local sporting goods store (remember when these were virtual deapertment stores ? Well , at least the sporting goods stores where I grew up were like that...) .

Seeing any of the boxes / kits from my youth is a mixed-bag of emotions . Definitely a trip down memory lane ; I feel like I'm "back in the day" , but am also saddened .

I lost a lot of kits to my anger outbursts (autism) , and later to the 1987 Whittier Earthquake .

I'm just happy that Round2 has been restoring and reissuing many of the old MPC and AMT kits from my youth :)

• 2 months later...

This was one of the first model kits I purchased, and I had to chose between this and Revell's "Luv Machine". Purchased from Murphy's Dept. store in 1980 or so, I still had the in-bed toolbox up until a few years ago:

Exciting stuff until I opened the box and saw the horrid two-piece hard vinyl tires. :o:(

Me, too, except that my memory is from this boxtop.

$(KGrHqZHJBIE-eW3+,ZCBPpSnsq3ow~~60_35.J

Getting back to which model kit box art takes you back, I forgot this one...

attachicon.gifhotrod 57 nomad.jpg

This box art represents a time when I was old enough for the "big boy" kits: the Revell Hot Rod series Custom '57 Chevy Nomad. I got it for Christmas and I'm sure my father picked it out. The hood opens, the rear tailgate and window opens, the doors open, the engine parts tree had a crankshaft on it. I will never forget the tires that came with that kit, either: a very supple rubber, the best tires of any kit I ever opened.

We had a blizzard that year where I lived and school was closed for a good part of January. I spent most of that time building models, including this one. That box makes me think of running outside in the snow to rattle can the body, sitting in my room building for so long my father wondered if I was huffing the glue. And you got an awesome HOT ROD magazine sticker and an order form for the magazine; very adult stuff. I look at that box and can see that time period. I'm not going to elaborate and get all mushy, but you know what I mean.

I found this same box/kit on eBay a while back and plan on putting it together this summer.

Apologies to MCM Forum member Travis321: I stole your image of this box. I could not find one anywhere on the net above 300 pixels wide.

Let's go bug him and see if he got his '57 Nomad kit done!

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29208#entry283714

There was a funny car of a Mercury Cyclone ('Don Nichols?) when I was like 12 or so that will be in my head forever.

I found a kit on ebay for $140.00! It's listed under 'AMT Mercury Cyclone funny car' not sure how to post the pic here, way cool though.

Edited by Speedfreak

• 2 weeks later...