Model Cars Magazine Forum

I love Round2

Hey all

I would just like to say that, Round2 needs to be applauded in what they are doing for OUR hobby. The last few years have been totally awesome in way of kits being re-relased on topics that we haven't seen in over 30-40 years. Now I know a lot of people on here whinge & bag them out man, but they are what they are "OLD KITS" & I'm just greatful that they are seeing the light of day again man & I don't have to fork out BIG bucks on evilbay to get them. And I feel that Round2 doesn't get the praise & recognition they deserve from our hobby. I'm 41 years old & I am so thrilled to have the opportunity to build these kits now. Who cares if you need to do a bit of work on them, or the metal axel goes through the block. It's just soooo good to see them again or in my case for the first time :)

Well done Round2 & keep up the good work, I hope there is many more years to come of great kits I have never see man.

Peace

I agree with you 100% , HIPPIE DUDE !!

I have always been nothing less than thankful for Round2's existance . If not for them , what would've happened to all of those new(er) RC2/ AMT toolings and old MPC & AMT toolings ???

It pains me to pay $40+ for old MPC , AMT , et al. , kits from eBay , especially since I'm not a "collector" ; I like to build them !!

I , too , hope for the continued success of Round2 !

I don't mind at all having to massage these restored-mould classic kits ! I

I've been playing with the Phantom Van for a bit here , and am loving all of the massaging ( dressing-down ejection pin marks is about the only pain in the a55 thing ) that's needed in order to build it to my satisfaction .

Perhaps if we continue to support them , they'll have enough capital to invest in brand new kits ( e.g. , 1968 Coronet R/T that was cancelled by RC2 ... ) !

Keep those restored reissues coming , Round2 , and I'll continue buying them !

Edited by 1972coronet

Yeah, I've been loving the reissues myself and have bought just about every one of them. The tires parts packs were a great idea also. Although I have refused to pony up the money for the latest set. Mainly because I haven't had a project that had to have them. I would also like to see them start coming out with completely new tooled kits that aren't curbsides. But, as long as they keep coming out with the cool reissues from the past, I'm not gonna complain!

I actually stopped buying AMT kits during the twilight years of the RC2 regime, because I was so tired of the endless reissues of the same five kits and the ever-dwindling quality. I'm glad to see RC2 taking steps in the other direction- yeah, they're still reissuing some of the same kits, but they are actually making an attempt to repair or replace tooling when needed, box art quality is improved by leaps and bounds, and their curbside kits of late model kits show a lot of promise. Not only that but the kits they are reissuing now are kits that I'm sure RC2's management never even bothered to look around in the warehouse for- like the Phantom Ford van, the AMC Gremlin, and a few others soon to be released. Even if all they do from today forward are reissues- there's more than enough stuff in the AMT, MPC, and PL tooling banks that hasn't been seen in years (if not decades) to keep a lot of people happy for a long time.

Prior to, say, DSL internet, I never had much industry knowledge and I had long assumed the old AMT & MPC molds were either long gone or damaged beyond repair. To find out they still existed and are useable is like Christmas. I too have never objected to fiddly flaws and have never joined the voices bashing the old kits, especially if the other choice is nothing. Now I hope there are enough hobbyists buying to make them glad they did. Hazzah Round 2.

I have to agree as well, only being 32 years old, there are a lot kits that I missed out on, and not wanting to pay the going rate them, I am happy because now I get to get some of the kits from before my time or when I was not in to models yet that wont break the bank

But same time, it would be nice to see some more new tools, but Revell is taking care of that :lol:

I actually stopped buying AMT kits during the twilight years of the RC2 regime, because I was so tired of the endless reissues of the same five kits and the ever-dwindling quality.

They do seem to have a regular "rotation of kits RC2 also trotted out ('65 Chevelle Wagon, '57 Bel Air, Opel GT (though now cleaned up and repaired), Monkeemobile, WWII Jeep, 50 Ford, '49 Mercury, '51 Chevy), but if they know which tooling is in good shape and which kits will sell again, it makes sense from a business standpoint. They have invested money in new and old products, with three distinctly new tires (and tire sets) in the last two years alone, so Round2 should get a lot of credit for doing that. Good tires are something which is desperately needed across the board.

Even if all they do from today forward are reissues- there's more than enough stuff in the AMT, MPC, and PL tooling banks that hasn't been seen in years (if not decades) to keep a lot of people happy for a long time.

Agreed. If they release two not-seen-for-many-years kits (such as the '75/6 Gremlin and the Vantom Ford Van), they will have done well in most people's eyes. Other than the '50s Ford COE shown(?) at iHobby, I don't recall any all-new AMT (MPC?) full detail kits being mentioned anywhere, but maybe Round2's niche in the market lies almost exclusively with reissues.

When combined or kitbashed with more recently issued kits , the Round 2 versions are something to behold !

Keep rolling them out , I'm buying them ! They need to re release the MPC Pro Stock Series while they're at it !

Kudos to whoever came up with the tire series sets , they are a work of art !

I agree with you 100% Tye!

I've bought several re-issues of kits I already had, but the Round2 version was so nicely restored and (retro) boxed I had to have it.

And to anybody listening in at Round2 - keep up the good work! Let the others do new stuff, you've got enough goodies in the cellar.