Model Cars Magazine Forum

TOM NOVAK`S: BBC "SIDEWINDER" REPLICA FINISHED PICTURES

Hello........this is a replica of Tom Novak`s: BBC "Sidewinder".........I would like to thank Mr. Tom Novak for giving me permission to buid a replica of his "Sidewinder".........Tom you are one Bad Brother and you have the Badest bike on earth........I would also like to thank Charlie with "Pro Tech" .......Charlie you have some great parts to use thank you.........Mr.Novak has made a few changes on this bike since I started on it ........If you would like to see how I built this replica you can go here to check it out http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89305........thanks for looking.

PB070003_zps0b5eeece.jpg

DSCF2243_zps70149dc1.jpg

DSCF2257_zpsd43a3b8b.jpg

DSCF2247_zps22eb896e.jpg

DSCF2274_zpsb785ded7.jpg

DSCF2290_zps1f1f6cbc.jpg

Well one thing wrong with it..... The fuel tank ain't big enough to feed that monster.....

One good thing, well kind of..... I see you must of spent that huge quarter to buy a huge hand to pose next to your real cars eh???

Seriously John, you build some awesome stuff my friend!!

John, I hope I can ask this question without too much backlash from the board. While the bike does look good, on closer inspection I have to ask about the obvious mismatch between the belts & sprockets? It's obvious you put a lot of work into the bike so I was just wondering about the belts/sprockets? I'm not meaning to knit-pick as there is a lot of good work on the bike it's just that the mismatch is quite obvious & detracts from the overall build.

If I may make an observation relating to well known builders and the hobby as a whole. When one reaches the level of exposure and recognition that you have John, you really are not/can not just build for yourself or follow your motto of "Good enough for the girls I go with". You now represent the hobby as a whole, not just yourself. With that level of stature, wanted or not, you owe it to yourself and the hobby to sweat the small stuff and apply the same level of detail to 100% of the project not just 90%-95% of it.

Before people throw an old stand by response like "Let's see what you've built" that is not relevant for anyone to have an opinion on this subject. If I had the exposure of modelers who have been printed numerous times in model publications then you could ask for that comparison.

BTW this is not just for John as there are other builders who the same observation can apply to this just happened to be the most readily available post that highlighted my observation.

Edited by J Morrison

John, I hope I can ask this question without too much backlash from the board. While the bike does look good, on closer inspection I have to ask about the obvious mismatch between the belts & sprockets? It's obvious you put a lot of work into the bike so I was just wondering about the belts/sprockets? I'm not meaning to knit-pick as there is a lot of good work on the bike it's just that the mismatch is quite obvious & detracts from the overall build.

If I may make an observation relating to well known builders and the hobby as a whole. When one reaches the level of exposure and recognition that you have John, you really are not/can not just build for yourself or follow your motto of "Good enough for the girls I go with". You now represent the hobby as a whole, not just yourself. With that level of stature, wanted or not, you owe it to yourself and the hobby to sweat the small stuff and apply the same level of detail to 100% of the project not just 90%-95% of it.

Before people throw an old stand by response like "Let's see what you've built" that is not relevant for anyone to have an opinion on this subject. If I had the exposure of modelers who have been printed numerous times in model publications then you could ask for that comparison.

BTW this is not just for John as there are other builders who the same observation can apply to this just happened to be the most readily available post that highlighted my observation.

Fair question. I think its just a compromise that has to be made and in most cases most won't even notice.. There just isn't much out there for the belts so one has to use what's available. If you make the teeth in the pulley match that isn't in scale either. Probably the reason you see this in multiple cases.

Just curious what would you do to solve the issue.

A couple of options would be to look outside the hobby for belts or perhaps try small scale military. Look for flat, flexible material, make a jig & cut or sand the teeth on the belt out individually. Not sure how well it would work but imagine a long, thin, flat length of putty or clay & run the pulley across it to set the pattern exactly to the pulley teeth. Harden the material enough to preserve the teeth while still allowing for flexibility. Silicone might even work better in that application.

Edited by J Morrison