Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chipping paint

The stripper I've had the best overall luck with on plastic is Easy Off oven cleaner...they make a less smelly version that doesn't work as well, so I use the original stuff. Wear rubber gloves if you have skin that's at all sensitive or it burns like the devil. Don't get it in your eyes. It also works best in my experience to spray a heavy coat on a body or parts, then put them in a heavy zip-lock freezer bag to keep the stuff from evaporating.

Most enamel based paints will wrinkle and lift off if you give it time. Krylon fusion won't, as it has solvents that really stick it to the plastic. Testors lacquers are softened by it, but don't just jump off like enamel will. Sometimes you may have to use multiple applications, scrubbing with a bristle brush to loosen the tough bits.

After the paint is removed, I find it's best to thouroughly scrub the part or body with Comet, plenty of hot water, and an old toothbrush to remove all of the residue.