Model Cars Magazine Forum

Colored "Real Fire" How-To

This is by no means the only way of painting realistic flames, but I've found that it can be done very quickly with this technique. First the body was sprayed in its main color, DuPont Tectic Gray pearl basecoat.

100_2243.jpg

100_2244.jpg

Now it's time to spray white using a flame stencil everywhere you want the flames.

100_2252.jpg

Now spray a transparent color (I used over reduced Intense Blue) over the white areas.

100_2259.jpg

Next use the flame stencil to highlight the curves of the flames with some more white.

100_2260.jpg

After adding the highlights spray another light coat of color over the flames.

100_2261.jpg

Next add one more round of highlights to pick out a couple more curves.

100_2262.jpg

Now spray an extremely light coat of color over the flames one more time and you're done!

100_2263.jpg

Thanks for looking! Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Billy

Edited by BKcustoms

Looks good! Could you post a photo of the stencil? Thanks, KB

Do a google search for "true fire stencils". There are quite a few out there. For variety, you will want at least 2 or 3 different stencils.

Mike Lavallee has put out some videos on True Fire that are definitely worth the time and money if you want to do this. There are also many Youtube videos on the subject.

This Nova has about 8 layers of paint making up the flames. I used Testor's Blazin' Black as a base and Tamiya acrylics (5 colors with 6 stencils) for the fire. It took awhile, but I was happy with the results.

CEXkDh.jpguqYuMh.jpg

Randall, Nice Nova! I really like that paint job. Doc, I think I figured out the reason for the spatter, The white I was using was DuPont Toner that didnt have any balancer or binder in it and that was the only color that was causing spatter. the blue was having no problems at all and the only difference is it did have balancer and binder in it since it was a factory color that I mixed at work.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks good! Could you post a photo of the stencil? Thanks, KB

If you have any 3x5 photos laying around, they make great stenciles. Just take your razor knife and cut a few different lobster claw patterns in them. The key is to not use the same one to many times. Change them up, keep it very sparatic.

Do a google search for "true fire stencils". There are quite a few out there. For variety, you will want at least 2 or 3 different stencils.

Mike Lavallee has put out some videos on True Fire that are definitely worth the time and money if you want to do this. There are also many Youtube videos on the subject.

This Nova has about 8 layers of paint making up the flames. I used Testor's Blazin' Black as a base and Tamiya acrylics (5 colors with 6 stencils) for the fire. It took awhile, but I was happy with the results.

CEXkDh.jpguqYuMh.jpg

Beautiful work. What tamiya acrylic colors did you use other than clear red, clear, yellow, and clear orange? Also, what clear did you use?

Beautiful work. What tamiya acrylic colors did you use other than clear red, clear, yellow, and clear orange? Also, what clear did you use?

I checked my notes and this is what I had written down: Red, Clear Red, Orange, Clear Orange, Yellow, Clear Yellow, and White (I guess 5 was an understatement!). I used Testor's Wet Look Clear.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...