Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shiny 1950 Chevy Pick Up Truck (Mild)

All right, folks, Doctor Cranky is back in the Lab-RAT-ory, getting cranked up to build another shiny, this time a 50 Chevy Pick Up. Haven't done one shiny in many years since I got back into the hobby.

Right now I am in the process of picking out the best parts among three kits and getting that frame smooth and straight with putty. Lots of sink marks on this puppy.

IMG_6540-vi.jpg

This kit always gets me really excited about building models. I don't know what it is, but it is going to be fun. I can feel it.

Got the body smoothed sanded up to 2000, but I will go all the way to 12000.

IMG_6542-vi.jpg

Removed some of the trim and door handles, the gas neck, etc . . .

Getting the bed ready too:

IMG_6543-vi.jpg

Stay tuned in for more . . .

Thanks, everyone. Casey, no, but it too has sink marks. I opened three versions of this kit: The Street Machine, the Standard 3100, and the Texaco, and they all have sink marks on the frame which means a few hours of filling and sanding if you want it to look better.

Great to see another of this sweet kit getting built, and with you building Doc, I know it's gonna be a good one! My frame had lots of sink marks too (Street Machine issue), I'm willing to bet you couldn't find a frame for this kit that didn't have all those sink marks!

Making slow progress getting everything together, mocked up, and ready for primer and paint.

This is the chassis that comes with the TEXACO edition of this truck, and I will be using it on another project.

IMG_0016-vi.jpg

Here's the body smoothed and sanded up to 2000 grit.

IMG_0017-vi.jpg

Nothing more lovely than these fat curves! LOL.

IMG_0018-vi.jpg

Thanks, Bryan, and Todd, and everybody. So far we are making some slow progress, but it is moving along.

IMG_0029-vi.jpg

I love this kit, and I think it's fun to have several around to use the different colors on the plastic to pretend the parts are coming from different sources, which they are.

Smoothing and buffing the body to a high shine as a prelude to the primer.

IMG_0031-vi.jpg

IMG_0032-vi.jpg

IMG_0033-vi.jpg

Time to work on the engine with some modernizing parts:

IMG_0026-vi.jpg

IMG_0029-vi.jpg

IMG_0030-vi.jpg

EYEGORE always gets the firing order wrong because he says it really makes everyone aware the Doctor doesn't know anything about building engines. LOL.

IMG_0032-vi.jpg

Drilled out that hole on the carb because it was a sink mark, so now I will put some sort of gizmo on there.