Model Cars Magazine Forum

transmission linkage Q

a question for picky to extremely picky builders ,,, on the transmission linkage ( I don't know the name of this part ) the I guess a clevis end that screws onto the rod , if I don't have that and just do a 90 bend in the rod is that frowned upon or is it ok , and also I think the rod I am using is to fat , yes , no ? 009-2_zps1a97cf8e.jpg

I like seeing your attention to detail. In the photo below, you can see the forward end of the shift rods are bent exactly as you want to do. In 1:1, only one end of each shifter rod needs to have a threaded portion and a clevis for adjustment.

1965_Mopar_4speed_Linkage_A833.jpg

This box, on the other hand, appears to not have any rod-adjustment provisions. The ends of the rods are just slotted on the shifter end...sloppy but effective. There's no hard and fast rule, so you have a little artistic freedom. There are a bajillion different shifter designs, both OEM and aftermarket. Also, cars that will be abused and speed-shifted, like in drag-racing, and especially if the rods have kinks in them, will have fatter rods for strength. Yours look fine.

0577j6d_27.jpeg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy