Model Cars Magazine Forum

Original 69 Impala restoration

Ron35369

This is one of only a few models that survived from my early years of building. Most of my original 60's builds met with fiery demises. This is an original 69 MPC Impala ss427 that I had originally brush painted with dark green paint. I decided to restore it back in the mid 90's just after I had started using automotive base coat / clear coat paint. I made a vinyl top out of masking tape & sprayed the body with a Cadillac color - Medium Rosewood. Added wiring to the engine, custom wheels & new front & rear bumpers from the Modelhaus.

DSCN1317.jpg

DSCN1316.jpg

DSCN1318.jpg

DSCN1315.jpg

DSCN1319.jpg

DSCN1320.jpg

Thanks guys. This one & my 69 Buick Wildcat are about the first builds that I actually saved from destruction derby. By 69 I was starting to mature & decided I wanted to hold on to the cars I was building. I went through MANY earlier kits...building & crashing, such as my 67 & 68 Cougars, original 65 Impala SS, 64 Impala with working lights & so many more that it makes me ill to think about it. Now I'm paying good money to try & get these oldies back. If I'd only known...but hey I was young :)