Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Classics

imatt88

Hey all,

Remember this series of kits?

monogram2305cadillac1.jpg

<a%20href=

Does anyone know of a list of the kits in this series that Monogram put out?

I remember building these kits as a kid, and would love to pick up some again

Does anyone make any aftermarket goodies for these kits?

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88

I have the Duesenberg SJ roadster the Packard Boattail Speedster, the Rolls Royce roadster by Brewster and the Duesenberg Weyman Torpedo Phaeton as well as the Cord above. There also was a 1931 Rolls Royce phaeton and a Packard Speedster.

Edited by my66s55

pic042.jpg

pic043.jpg

pic044.jpg

pic045.jpg

pic046.jpg

pic047.jpg

pic048.jpg

pic050.jpg

pic051.jpg

Then there is this:

pic041.jpg

Most people are put off since the box says it's 1:20 scale. However, it is not. And it is a direct rip-off off the Monogram kits, to the extned that many parts are interchangeable. Since the Bandai kit can be motorized, the chassis and engine is compromised. This can be easily rectified with a donor Monogram Duesie.

I've been building the Packard Speedster, it is a nice kit, pretty good detail and no real fit problems so far. These Monogram kits turn up on ebay at decent prices quite often.

I was asking about these kits last year and put this list together with the help of many on the site.

Monogram

1934 Duesenberg Model J Weymann Torpedo Phaeton

1934 Duesenberg Model J Rollston Disappearing top Coupe (convertible)

1934 Duesenberg Model J Walter Murphy Town Car (actually 1930)

1934 Duesenberg Model J Walter Murphy Disappearing top coupe with boat tail (metal body, fenders, hood)

1930 Packard Model 734 Boattail speedster

1930 Packard Model 734 Speedster Phaeton

1931 Packard Super 8 Dual Cowl Phaeton (metal body, fenders, hood)

1931 Rolls Royce of America Phantom II Henley Roadster

1931 Rolls Royce of America Phantom II Sport Phaeton

1932 Cadillac Model 452 Fleetwood dual cowl Phaeton (V-16)

1927 Bugatti Type 35B

1937 Cord 812 supercharged convertible phaeton

1941 Lincoln Continental Convertible

MPC

1927 Lincoln V-8 Roadster

1928 Lincoln V-8 Locke Sport Phaeton

1931 Chrysler Roadster

1932 Chrysler Imperial convertible sedan

Johan

1931 Cadillac Model 452 Fleetwood Cabriolet (V-16)

1931 Cadillac Model 452 Fleetwood Sport Phaeton (V-16)

1931 Cadillac Model 452 Fleetwood Canework Town Car (V-16)

1935 Mercedes Benz 500K Sindelfingen Cabriolet

1935 Mercedes Benz 500K Special Coupe

Lindberg (Pyro etc)

1929 Mercedes SSK roadster (decent kit)

1931 Bugatti Type 41 Royale Convertible Victoria (decent kit)

1937 Cord convertible

19xx Auburn

1948 Lincoln Continental

Heller

Alfa Romeo 1750 Zagato

Bentley 4.5 Liter Blower

BMW Dixi

BMW 328

Bugatti T50

Citroen 5CV

Citroen B14 Torpedo Deluxe

Citroen B14 Landaulet (can be built as a taxi)

Citroen B14 Normandie

Citroen 15 Six

Delage D8 SS

Delahaye 135

Hispano Suiza K6

Mercedes Benz 500K Special roadster

Mercedes Benz 170V

Mercedes Benz 170V delivery van

Renault Vivastella PG7

Citroen C4 Hotel Taxi

Citroen C4 Pompiers

Citroen C4 Waterman van

Delahaye Type 103 Bonneville fire engine

Renault TN6C Bus Parisien

Italeri

1933 Cadillac V16 Town Car

1933 Cadillac V16 Phaeton

Mercedes Benz 540K Cabriolet B

Bugatti T41 La Royale 41.150 Berline de Voyage

Bugatti T41 La Royale Coupe Napoleon

Rolls Royce Phantom II All weather cabriolet

Edited by Aaronw

I've been building the Packard Speedster, it is a nice kit, pretty good detail and no real fit problems so far. These Monogram kits turn up on ebay at decent prices quite often.

I was asking about these kits last year and put this list together with the help of many on the site.

Italeri

1933 Cadillac V16 Town Car

1933 Cadillac V16 Phaeton

Mercedes Benz 540K Cabriolet B

Bugatti T41 La Royale 41.150 Berline de Voyage

Bugatti T41 La Royale Coupe Napoleon

Rolls Royce Phantom II All weather cabriolet

Italeri did at least 1 Chrysler, 1933 Chrysler Imperial Phaeton

For anyone interested in building the Mercedes 540K coupe above, there are a few good reference shots of the 1:1 here:

http://www.ultimatec...zial-Coupe.html

Mercedes-Benz-540-K-Spezial-Coupe_1copy.jpg

For pretty good reference on any 540K, you might want to drag this to your desktop (a very detailed 4.5MB file), and reviewing the Pocher builds at scalemotorcars.com is helpful in adding detail to the kits above for Rolls, Bugatti and Mercedes. You can also download the Pocher instructions there for free.

mercedes540kcutaway.png

Edited by sjordan2

Ah....I didn't count the Model A. Don't have that either. I do have the Connie and the Cord, plus the MG. I didn't know they made an XK 120. I'll need to get one of those.

That Bandai SJ sedan looks interesting. If it is in fact, 1/24 as Christian states (and it sounds like it is,) I may have to add that to my "look for" list, too.

Charlie Larkin

You guys seem to have completely lost sight of what this topic is about.

"Does anyone know of a list of the kits in this series that Monogram put out?" (Monogram classics).

Sorry, Harry, I don't get your point at all. We've got the lists covered in spades, but there's plenty of opportunity here to discuss these type of kits, how they might relate between Monogram and other similar classic car kits of other brands, yada yada yada, and where to find additional information on them. Why is there a problem?

Edited by sjordan2

Ah....I didn't count the Model A. Don't have that either. I do have the Connie and the Cord, plus the MG. I didn't know they made an XK 120. I'll need to get one of those.

That Bandai SJ sedan looks interesting. If it is in fact, 1/24 as Christian states (and it sounds like it is,) I may have to add that to my "look for" list, too.

Charlie Larkin

The Bandai kit is only a "semi-clone" of the Monogram Duesenberg base kit. The body shell has one half of the hood molded in one piece with it, the other side (right side) is a separate part. The body shell is somewhat loosely done as the 1934 Figoni et Falaschi Berline, which was done in Paris. A Berline (pronounced "Ber-lin" just like the German capital city) is a sedan, designed to be either owner- or chauffeur-driven, with a retractable divider window at the back of the front seat.

The actual car still exists, and differs a good bit from the Bandai kit. Bandai did the body shell to fit their 'clone" of the Monogram basic kit, meaning that the lower edge (sills) of the body are straight, and mate to the running board splash aprons on top of them, where the actual Figoni body is wider, almost predictive of the 1935-36 JN and SJN series Duesenbergs bodied by Rollston, having its sills outboard of the splash aprons, with a long sweeping curve below the top line of the frame. Other than that, the body lines are very, very close to the actual car.

Bandai also did a much more crude knock-off of the Monogram '37 Cord 812 Supercharged Convertible Phaeton--hardly worth mentioning.

An addition to the lists I've seen here should be the Monogram metal-bodied 1:24 scale 1931 Packard 845 Dual Cowl Phaeton. It's not done on the same chassis as their Speedster Boattail or their Speedster Phaeton, but the similarities would make one think so at first glance.

I remember being shown drawings in 1981, for a second release on the Monogram 1932 Cadillac Model 452 V-16 Phaeton, that body being the Fleetwood Convertible Victoria, which would have been a stunning kit if it had been done.

Another classic era car kit that was announced (even to the point of having a scratchbuilt display model built for the 1966 Hobby Industry Association Trade Show (used to be held every January at the old Sherman House Hotel in downtown Chicago--forerunner of RCHTA/iHobby); that being the 1928 Miller '91" Indianapolis 500 winner, the car driven by Louis Meyer (later of Meyer-Drake--producer of Offenhauser racing engines 1945-1979). This kit was stillborn however, probably due to a serious lack of pre-orders from hobby wholesalers and retail shops.

Art

I just won a Jo-Han 1935 Mercedes 500K coupe on eBay for a very reasonable $22 (which includes shipping) and am tremendously excited about it, and wondering if I will need to mash it with any of the Monogram kits. Interesting to note that (as I have heard), the Pocher 540K kits are actually 500Ks as the engine pictures indicate, and can provide some good engine and mechanical reference. There are only about 3 to 4 reference photos available for the original 500K coupe, but more for the Monogram 540K coupe as I posted above.

Edited by sjordan2

I have the Rolls Royce and the Cord as well as the "Boat Tail Packard . I built the Cord years ago and to say the least , I was thoroughly impressed by the kit . I can also say the same for the 1941 Lincoln Continental Mk- 1 also .

ckindetires.jpg

Here a view of the Continental from the top

Ed Shaver