Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Porsche GT3 R

IMSANUT

As is somewhat typical for Fujimi, we get a pretty accurate curbside of an exciting car. For those of us that follow the ALMS, and Grand Am road racing series, this kit is NOT correct for either of these series. ALMS allows the much wilder RSR version of the GT#, and the Grand Am series is much closer to the road going GT3 than any of the R variants. Still, what is in the box is pretty good. A very well executed interior with full roll cage and racing seat in a stripped racing interior pan. The chassis is nice, with simplified suspension details which are admittedly hidden by the aero chassis an ground effect rear tunnels.

So what then causes the ho hum reaction? The body. It is not the current or even recently current RSR. The nose is completely wrong for the ALMS racer, though not too far off for the Grand Am car. And the front hood design is at least one generation off in regards to the radiator air extractor, though this I believe can be easily corrected. One thing that you will certainly need to replace though are the wheels, as they are not close to the correct BBS wheel design. The aftermarket to the rescue here.

All is not lost though, as the Scale Auto slot racing body kit is very easily adapted to the Fujimi chassis and interior.

I am planning on two different builds of this car, and hope to have in progress photos as I get along with the builds.

So you're bashing a kit because it has nothing to do with what you wanted it for lol!! But I know what you mean. Sucks we can't make a proper US racing version car without extensive mods:( Limited use of the kit. The interior "door" panels could have been something other than slab sided as well.

Yep I am! As a relatively small portion of the kit buying public, I suppose I should be happy with what is doled out...not! The RSR was the OBVIOUS choice to kit, but nope, Fujimi knows better. Ah well, you do what you have to do to build the subject you want, right?

As to the interior panels, what's wrong? they are pretty plain in reality, or have I missed something???

Yep I am! As a relatively small portion of the kit buying public, I suppose I should be happy with what is doled out...not! The RSR was the OBVIOUS choice to kit, but nope, Fujimi knows better. Ah well, you do what you have to do to build the subject you want, right?

The GT3R raced in the Japanese Super GT series. It is the obvious choice for Fujimi to kit.

True, but the GT3RSR also races at Le Mans, and Fujimi has done Le Mans cars before....

I love the building, but each of these builds is going to be close to three figures to get the stuff needed to build it..... I already buy a bunch of resin kits as it is, but plastic is supposed to be less expensive, right???...............:)