Model Cars Magazine Forum

1986 Monte Carlo SS

Toast

Started this a couple months back. Been taking a few progress pics but haven't gotten them on the computer to post.

I'm building this to try and get some momentum at my work bench. I've had a few projects I took too seriously and they ended up stalling out. This build is almost box stock with just some basic detail painting.

Was going to do the classic black paint scheme but I saw a picture of one online that was dark red and I really liked it so pretty sure that's the route I'm going to take with the body.

The only deviation from the box parts was the exhaust, it was fairly plain to start with.

86MC-01.jpg

So I chopped the tips off and replaced them with some leftovers from a Lamborghini kit.

86MC-02.jpg

I think this fits style of the car much better.

86MC-03.jpg

Some engine detail.

86MC-04.jpg

Suspension sub assemblies.

86MC-05.jpg

And the interior bucket.

86MC-06.jpg

As soon as I get some good painting weather she should go together quickly!

It looks great as always. Nice job with the belt and those pullies, they look very realistic. I also like that interior so far, you're doing amazing job.I can't remember if it was this kit or not, but can you post a picture of the carburetor which came with the kit?

I built a box stock black version of this kit. You have to dechrome some of the engine parts to make it look factory correct. I've got plans to build another, the '87 Aeroback version. Not sure what color yet, but was also thinking about that dark red metallic. Time will tell....

Thanks for the compliments. I'm not afraid of constructive criticism so if you have any suggestions or tips your input is welcomed.

The paint is Rustoleum spray enamels with Testors bottles for details. The interior was shot all gloss red and then semi gloss clear for the vinyl and matt clear for the fabric.

Got the wheels painted tonight and a clear coat on the tires. Figured since the car will be darker painting the white lettering will help add a little contrast.

still shopping for the body color. I found one that I like in the dupli color lacquer sprays but I gotta browse hobby lobby's model paint section before I decide.

The decals in this kit are pretty fragile, would spraying some decal maker on them help or is there a better method?

Plugging away at her!

Niko, here's the carburetor.

86MC-07.jpg

I spent a few hours on the tire lettering and was pretty darn proud I kept most of the paint where I wanted it! (I also kind of dig this look, reminds me of all the cars at shows with their tires drenched in armorall).

86MC-08.jpg

But then I got a too excited with the second layer of dullcoat, and put it on a little too heavy. the White paint spread in some areas.

86MC-09.jpg

The chassis is mostly completed. . .

86MC-10.jpg

and all four tires touch the table!

86MC-11.jpg

Close up of the rear suspension. I suppose I did add the Bilstein decals from a Nascar kit as well so not totally box stock. :-P

86MC-12.jpg

The body is mostly prepped for hopefully the final coat of primer and paint. I did all the previous coats of primer and sanding with the mirrors off and now that I put them on I'm super paranoid about how to handle it for the rest of the build. Cross your fingers for me!

86MonteCarloSS030.jpg

Edited by Toast

Thanks for the picture! I need to start looking for those carburetors.

Tire letterings turned out great, very sharp painting. I've never been brave enough to try that kind of lettering, but looks like it's possible to do nicely.

I don't remember what Chevy called it, but the Dark Claret (Code 81, I think) was a nice color. My mother had a Cutlass Supreme in that color, with a gray interior.

This is shaping up to be a very nice build.

Locally, there also used to be a slightly earlier Monte SS in that medium-dark metallic blue a lot of G-bodies came in. That looked nice, too.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...

Great day for painting today. I got a bunch of projects prepped and hit with primer, some even painted, including. . .

The Monte!

86MC-14.jpg

These pictures show the the color a little better but it looks darker like in the first picture.

86MC-16.jpg

The color I found was a nissan color "Burgundy Berry Metallic", but I just didn't like the GM options I had available. I just browsed the touch up isle at Auto Zone.

86MC-15.jpg

Edited by Toast

• 2 weeks later...

Toast

Very nice Monte. Like the color. How did you paint the instrument panel? Like all the gauges & dials? Thats about the only problem I have. Well that & all the engine detail. LOL. Do you use small brushes on the dash? Let me know please.