Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

I agree with the bottle. The 5lb version looks much more in scale. Have you tried sanding the 3D printed material already? How does it sand, I mean is it really easy to sand or hard? I can't wait to see more, this looks fantastic!

Dave... You are right about a little bit of clean up and they should look good.

Dave... thanks man!!

Robert... There is a little texture to these parts. I have order parts from TDR which are printed on a different type and different media 3D printing machine. This was a personal 3D printer that these were printed on and I was curious what the quality was from this printer. As to the reason why I had my buddy print them for me. If I had my own Sherline lathe I would of turned the bottle myself. But a little bit of sanding and some bondo, I don't think you will ever know the texture was there.

Sflam.... thanks man. I have to agree the 5lb bottle looks a little better but I do have to go back and resize the bottle. A week or more ago I found another brand of fire bottles and the sizes were different from what I originally drew these too. I will be making the changes and having my buddy redo them for me.

Niko.... Thanks buddy!! You know this material is a little harder than I expected. this material is PLA and the printer can also print ABS. I am going to talk to my buddy and see if he has the heads to print with the ABS and if he does I will buy him a roll of material because I think the ABS would be much easier to sand. I will get more primer on the parts tomorrow and share with everyone.

Ok so a little update for everyone. I was able to get a little bench time in today and was going to work on it some more tonight but I wanted to share what I had done so far today. I had pulled out one of Futurattractions cockpit photo-etch details and bent the butterfly steering wheel into shape as well as getting the length from the steering gear box to steering wheel figured out. Then it was time to mock up both the 5lb and 10 lb bottles just to see how they looked. I did sand the bottles a little more and got them to fit on to the brackets. I actually chucked them up in my electric drill and used a sanding board to help sand them. I need to shoot some more primer on them to see how they turned out. Anywhere here is where I am at with it and you can let me know what you think.

5lb Bottle Mocked up:

DP-Army-Vega3969-1_zpsce78c7cc.jpg

5lb Bottle with body on:

DP-Army-Vega3974-1_zps8991fe05.jpg

10lb Bottle Mocked up:

DP-Army-Vega3983-1_zps6a9d379d.jpg

10lb Bottle with body on:

DP-Army-Vega3985-1_zps82d1ec67.jpg

Hello Fellas.... Well I was messing around this morning some more with this fire bottle and cut down the 10lb to the correct length to double check the size and I have resized my CAD models and going to have my buddy reprint these again. I had to mock this up one more time. I am really happy with the length now and the new printed pieces the diameter will be a tad smaller for the 5lb bottle. Now i am gonna jump back to the engine today in hopes of having it ready to paint this weekend.

I have chopped part of the bottle off for the correct length of the 5lb bottle that I found new dimensions on:

DP-Army-Vega3989-1_zps92c4f582.jpg

Mocked it up one last time to see how it would sit and look:

DP-Army-Vega3992-1_zps7c4046f5.jpg

Another shot with the body on, checking clearances:

DP-Army-Vega3995-1_zps6a952b20.jpg

Army-27copy_zps0112b77e.jpg

Army-28copy_zps137e763a.jpg

Mike.... Thanks I am much happier with the length of the bottle now. It looks better as well.

John... Thanks Brother!! It was great to talk with you earlier today and catch up. Thanks for being that inspiration. I am going to make sure and hit that bench every day even if its for a short time.

Ray... Thank you for following along on this very long journey. Feels like I have been on it forever...lol

I have started back on the engine. filling more pin holes and sanding and adding primer. Hoping to have the block completely prepped tonight and then it can be ready for paint.

Aaron... Thanks man.... I am trying to make some good progress on it.

Bob... Thanks man. Thank for the suggestion as well. I will change the thickness of the brackets and have thinner ones printed. I can't remember off the top of my head how thick I made them. I will have to double check them.

Robert.... Thank you for the kind words on this build.

Once you the the brackets thinner, it will look spot on. Nicely done.

Looking forward to more updates. Keep at it bro, you'll get there.

How soon are you planning on needing the decals? I've found a great new printer who does fantastic work.

Brad…….he needs them now :P ………you go Brother.

Brad…….he needs them now :P ………you go Brother.

HAHAHA..... LMAO.... Umm I take it that some people are ready to see this thing painted and decaled? haha John can I borrow some of your little mini me's?? I need to learn to build at Teresi speed and I will have this sucker done in 2 weeks :lol: ... :P .... ;)

Brad...Honestly I am not sure when I exactly need them. I still have body work that needs to be done before I even get to primering the body. I need to hurry up and get this engine painted and start assembling it so I can jump back to the body.

Last night I had done more work to the block and I am almost to the point of calling it ready for paint. I need to glue the timing cover on and then shoot one last coat of primer. going to be working on it this afternoon. I also went back and changed the thickness of the bottle brackets to .03125" which is equal to 1/2" in 1:1. Going to email those files to my buddy here shortly. And in the mean time I was farting around drawing this up that I am going to have him print as well.....

jackramps-updated_zps0386302b.jpg

*Edited - Made changes to Jack Ramps, I realized I made a mistake in the over all length of them when I drew them up.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Brad.... I drew these up in 1/16th Scale. It would not be a problem for me to draw them up in 1/24th scale.

Darryl... Thanks Man!!

So I got a little more done on the engine block today. Got the timing cover glued in place and shot another coat of primer. Time to work on the valve covers to fill a few pin holes and and prep for final primer.

Here is the first portion of the timing cover. I drilled multiple holes for spots that I would add glue. I glued with CA and used kicker on it to set it in place. I wanted to make sure that my bolt holes lined up and I stuck the bolts in to locate it and then added glue in the swiss cheese holes I drilled into the plate, knowing that the other portion of the engine would cover these glue holes:

DP-Army-Vega4001-1_zpsc26a7399.jpg

Here is the 2nd part of the plated glued in place and after Primer was shot onto the block:

DP-Army-Vega4003-1_zps7fdf716c.jpg

Now here is where I would like feedback from my fellow modelers. So after gluing these plates on to the block I have noticed I have a small gap and wasn't sure when I was spraying primer if it would fill it in a little or not. Now I am debating if I should try to fill with a little CA glue to bridge the gab or if I should try to fill with some bondo or maybe add some other type of glue like white glue but not sure if a lacquer based primer would attack the white glue. Let me know your thoughts on what you would do. Thanks:

DP-Army-Vega4006-1_zps11c6dea2.jpg