Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ash Wiper Chimney Sweep van

I love the subtle weathering; very realistic. Please explain how you did the writing in the dust on the windshield.

Thanks Johann, after the bulk of the weathering, I went back over most of the vehicle with Vallejo pigments using a cotton swap, with the tape in place for the wiper blades. Then, I took a fresh cotton swab and pulled the "dust" down to where I liked it. (wished I had used a darker color as a side note)

After I pulled it down into place, I misted the windshield with alcohol to set the pigment in place. It is not rock hard, but will not come off with light touches.

At that point, I simply used a tooth pick that I dulled the tip a bit, and did my best to not mess it up too bad! LOL

Glu,Funny!

Thanks Dominik!

• 2 weeks later...

A fellow modelcarlist.com guy made these decals for me around 2003, and they just got placed on their intended truck this year.

Originally intended to be more of a street machine than a weathered work truck, this is how it ended up. Curbside for the most part, but the engine is there. This was build from the poor Emergency 911 kit.

med_gallery_8985_885_145362.jpg

med_gallery_8985_885_453335.jpg

med_gallery_8985_885_573913.jpg

med_gallery_8985_885_457980.jpg

med_gallery_8985_885_111041.jpg

Roger, This was indeed a learning project for me as well. In the past it was mostly just black washes and some "oil" messes on chassis etc. Check out Youtube for videos on weathering tips. There are a lot of trains and military subjects, but it still applies to the auto world many times as well.

Chuck, Terry, Steve, Michael, Ira, Johann, thanks guysI I tried to learn as I went along, and maybe can apply what I learned to future projects

Ray, what part of Arizona? You going to Modelzona in Nov?

Awesome job. Vans are such great subjects.

Thanks Joey!

WOW, I don't know how I missed this build. Great job. Very nice weathering job and it looks just right. I like the name of your business fer sure. I have a hauling business with a similar but a tad bit different name.

Great minds think alike fer sure. :lol: :lol: Dan

Dan, that is a great pickup! I have a couple more projects on the back-burner that are also play on words.

Thanks Mark and I can't wait to see what you come up with next. This truck is a dump truck. If you like, there are more pics in my photobucket of it. Again, nice job on your truck. Did the wheels and tires you used come in the same kit? I think that I'm going to try and find one of those Dodges at some of the shows that I go to even if it is a bad kit. :) Dan

Thanks Mark and I can't wait to see what you come up with next. This truck is a dump truck. If you like, there are more pics in my photobucket of it. Again, nice job on your truck. Did the wheels and tires you used come in the same kit? I think that I'm going to try and find one of those Dodges at some of the shows that I go to even if it is a bad kit. :) Dan

Dan, I grabbed those from my "parts bin" but I am pretty sure the tires came from the first issue of the Dodge Ram truck when they did the kit of the new body style maybe 12 years ago? something like that. I think the rims may have been a spare option from the same kit, but I would not swear to that.

I will check out more of your pics, possibly later tonight if I can. I am just getting to weathering some model. I am just finishing up a MASH 4077 kit of the jeep ad tent, no in progress shots, but hope to have it done this weekend.