Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Impala Custom and his Hemi Hydro

Dominik

Thank you very much for kind of words!

I am pleased, to inspire you, to build your own boat. Pleasure for me. It was a hard work till i get my goal and make the paintjob. But, if i read your comments, i know, i did it right. Your words are the payment for me - thank you very much for this.

I have no engine placed in the back, the trunklid is glued. I think, in real life, there will be a stock engine that gets his air to breath thru the "hole" left and right near the seat.

Jason, i will search for some pics from the progress and will make one from the underside. So stay tuned ;)

• 5 months later...
Jason, i will search for some pics from the progress and will make one from the underside. So stay tuned ;)
Thanks Dominik, that would be great. I used to have a kit when I was a kid that had a chevy step side pickup with a race boat on the back, " Revell Mach 1 formula one Racing" and never finished it. After seeing this build I've been looking for different kits with boats and came across one that has a chevy truck with a hemi-hydro boat on the back and I would really like to get that kit and hopefully finish it this time. What kit did you build yours off of? Again, great looking build.

Beautiful, I love the '60 Chevy and the boat just puts it over the top. Super Cool build. May I make a suggestion? Maybe, just maybe add some lights or decals on the back of the boat to mimic the tail lights on the back of the car. Just throwing it out as a thought. It's bad a$$ either way. B):D

Thank you very much for comments buddies!

I appreciate it.

@jason: .

Thanks Dominik, that would be great. I used to have a kit when I was a kid that had a chevy step side pickup with a race boat on the back, " Revell Mach 1 formula one Racing" and never finished it. After seeing this build I've been looking for different kits with boats and came across one that has a chevy truck with a hemi-hydro boat on the back and I would really like to get that kit and hopefully finish it this time. What kit did you build yours off of? Again, great looking build.

sorry, i forgot to search for wip-pictures. i will do it this weekend, cause my pictures on the server were gone...looking forward to find them.

@Geno:

Beautiful, I love the '60 Chevy and the boat just puts it over the top. Super Cool build. May I make a suggestion? Maybe, just maybe add some lights or decals on the back of the boat to mimic the tail lights on the back of the car. Just throwing it out as a thought. It's bad a$$ either way. B):D

perhaps, you will laugh: i thought about it, to make some backlights. but after painting white, it looks so smooth...

Thanks again for comments!

Edited by Dominik

Hi,

i searched my storage and here they are...some pictures of the progress :)

First a look in the enginebay of the Impala:

CIMG120113_005.jpg

...and a look inside:

CIMG120118_025.jpg

Lets go to the Customboat.

The selfmade dashboard:

CIMG120120_002.jpg

The parts of the body i needed...

CIMG120122_023.jpg

...and the first fit on the Hemihydro.

you see the backside from the boat at this time is still there. i partly cutted out the sidewalls, to fit the "doors" from the Impala in a smooth line with the boatbody:

CIMG120127_001.jpg

Sideview:

CIMG120127_002.jpg

here i cutted out the back of the boat, filled the sidetrim with styrene and built the separation between the engine compartment and seats:

CIMG120204_001.jpg

Edited by Dominik

Next step after (much) sanding and filling the body, i scratchbuilt the trunklid:
CIMG120425_012.jpg
a comparison to the original:
CIMG120425_014.jpg
The most work is done.
first primer to the complete boat with panels and buttom inside, adapted bench, scratchbuilt center console, the lid ready:
CIMG120510_003.jpg
CIMG120510_007.jpg

These works (from cutting the gluebomb-Impala till prime the boat) took from Jan.2012 till May 2012. A lot of filling, sanding...the paintjob was the "lousy" free section.

Thanks for interest buddies ;)